Honored Contributor

"POSSESSED" JOAN CRAWFORD VAN HEFLIN TUESDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Noon Eastern--  "Possessed"  Joan Crawford, Raymond Massey, Van Heflin, Geraldine Brooks

Classic Joan melodrama, in which she is found wandering the L.A. streets in a daze.  At the hospital, her lurid back story of love, obsession, and loss emerges.  Crawford had been a private duty nurse in the household of wealthy businessman Raymond Massey, when she meets and has a romance with his friend, Van Heflin.  But Heflin is restless, and Joan can't let go....   Will marriage to the smitten Massey help salve the wound of Heflin's rejection?

Despite all the sturm and drang, this outing is enlivened by a truly striking cast, notably Massey and Heflin, and also a very young Geraldine Brooks, supporting Crawford.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XoWYeofNbs

"Possessed" is part of a daytime fest of movies around nurses and the nursing profession today, including Stanwyck's famous early crime drama, "Night Nurse" @ 10:30 a.m. Eastern, and "I Walked with a Zombie" @2:00 p.m. Eastern.  

Then, TCM does a complete turn, coming up with Tennessee Williams' haunting classic "A Streetcar Named Desire" at 8:00 p.m. Eastern.  Sometimes hard to watch, but gorgeously written, directed (Elia Kazan) and acted (Marlon Brando, Vivien Leigh, Karl Malden).

Trusted Contributor

Re: "POSSESSED" JOAN CRAWFORD VAN HEFLIN TUESDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Thanks for the heads up !!!

Honored Contributor

I am watching Night Nurse. Not only is Barbara Stanwyck in this movie but Joan Blondell AND Clark Gable. He looks so different.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I remember thinking that too, @drizzellla about Clark Gable in "Night Nurse".  Both he and Barbara Stanwyck really evolved in terms of their personas since those early beginnings of their careers, didn't they?

Hope you're able stick around for "Possessed", if you've not seen it before.  It's pure, classic, neurotic Joan!

Honored Contributor

I can't wait! My favorite movie of Joan Crawford is Harriet Craig - talk about neurotic.

So can't wait to see Possessed.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Just turned it on here in Pacific Time Zone of 9AM. Thanks! Never saw this movie! Love JC!

Esteemed Contributor

I just got on the computer Since it has been on for 15 minutes I will record it. I am a little tired still. Got to take care of some business. As a teenager I would never see alot of the movies recommended. I like them now compared with the ones they make now. Haven't been to a movie theater in years.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I remember thinking that too, @drizzellla about Clark Gable in "Night Nurse".  Both he and Barbara Stanwyck really evolved in terms of their personas since those early beginnings of their careers, didn't they?

Hope you're able stick around for "Possessed", if you've not seen it before.  It's pure, classic, neurotic Joan!

Just the opening scene of Possessed had Harriet Craig beat for Joan's neurosis. 

Honored Contributor

I was home today so I did catch some of this, but I had seen it too recently to continue. She looked good in this. Wasn't that neat the way they pulled up to each other's home in a boat instead of a car? Love that!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

I was home today so I did catch some of this, but I had seen it too recently to continue. She looked good in this. Wasn't that neat the way they pulled up to each other's home in a boat instead of a car? Love that!

That scene reminded me of the scene from Leave Her to Heavan. With the boat just pulling up to the house.