Honored Contributor

"PINKY" JEANNE CRAIN, ETHEL WATERS THURSDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

pinky-jeanne-crain-black-ethel-waters.jpg

FLASH ALERT!

11:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Pinky"  Jeanne Crain, Ethel Waters, Ethel Barrymore, William Lundigan, Kenny Washington, Basil Ruysdael

Directed by Elia Kazan, this is a poignant story of a young woman finding her calling, against great obstacles.  "Pinky" or "Patricia",  (Jeanne Crain) is a young African-American nursing student, who has left her grandmother (Ethel Waters) and gone North for her studies.  Like a number of others throughout history, she finds she is light-skinned enough to "pass" for white in her new environs, and does.  When a doctor who is not black falls in love with her and proposes marriage, she returns to her grandmother for guidance.

Very interesting film especially in light of its time (1949).  Reportedly, both Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge were interested in the role of Pinky.  How fascinating if either of them had been cast!

MV5BNGE5YzAwZGYtY2E1OS00NDM0LWIyNDYtNjlhMzQyOGIwOTk1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_.jpg

When a friend (Ethel Barrymore) bequeathes an unexpected gift to Pinky, her life becomes even more complicated.  And her physician beau (William Lundigan) wants marriage, but under painful conditions that would challenge her emerging sense of identity....

793full-pinky----------------------------------(1949)-screenshot.jpg

Waters, Crain and Barrymore were all nominated for Oscars in this early Kazan film.

Honored Contributor

Re: "PINKY" JEANNE CRAIN, ETHEL WATERS THURSDAY 11:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

You beat me to it!  Nice synopsis oznell. 

I watch this movie every time it's aired (lucky if once a year).  Good thing I am a night owl.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I just watched Lena Horne and Bill Robinson in Stormy Weather, no one sings that song like Lena!  Pinky sounds like a movie I would enjoy as I like social issue movies.  I thank you for the heads up and have the movie ready to tape on my DVR.  

While I do know Jeanne Crain as an actress I haven't seen many of her films, I'm sure she will hold her own in Pinky!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up, just set the DVR.

Haven't seen the movies years and always loved Jeanne Crain.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  I recall seeing this as a 7 year old. I always liked Jeanne Crain. Even at that age I couldn't understand why she would have such problems. Good movie, I've seen it several times since. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Pinky" is based on the forgotten novel "Quality" by Cid Ricketts Sumner.  Sumner also wrote the original "Tammy" novel which the film series is based on.  "Quality" has a much darker ending than the film which was altered for Hollywood sensibilities. 

As an aside,  there was actually a Supreme Court decision involving "Pinky."  Highly controversial in the south, a local Texas ordinance banned a theater owner from showing the film.  The owner appealed all the way to the Court, which ruled in his favor. 

41Ioiee+9JL._AC_SY400_.jpg