Honored Contributor

"PENNY SERENADE" CARY GRANT, IRENE DUNNE MONDAY 5:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Penny_Serenade_4.jpg

5:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Penny Serenade"  Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, Beulah Bondi, Edgar Burchanan, Ann Doran, Eva Lee Kuney, Baby Biffle

A perennial favorite, so touching for the Christmas season. Brash newspaper editor Cary Grant and wife Irene Dunne have had their share of heartache, when the chance to adopt presents itself, and all kinds of emotions ensue...

Everyone is terrific in this, including old pros Beulah Bondi and Edgar Buchanan.  Cary Grant famously wanted to be a father for most of his life, (finally achieving that with real- life wife Dyan Cannon and daughter Jennifer.)   Here, he plumbs depths of yearning for parenthood that are moving, and somewhat uncharacteristic for him in films.... (I'm thinking of the scene of his impassioned plea before the judge who will decide what will happen to his family.)

With its bittersweet soundtrack and timeless dilemmas, the kind of film that can be watched and savored (and cried over, a little) multiple times...

x1080.jpg

Valued Contributor

Re: "PENNY SERENADE" CARY GRANT, IRENE DUNNE MONDAY 5:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell Oh, this one is definitely a 50 hankie cry fest.

Respected Contributor

Have watched many times and plan to again today.
Honored Contributor

oznell,

Only in the past half decade have I discovered that I adore Irene Dunne.  Of course I've always loved Cary Grant.

And Beulah Bondi is an actress who has recently climbed onto my "favorites" list.  I recently rewatched her in Make Way for Tomorrow.  She is so genuinely tender and unguarded in this film.  How authentic she is as a regular wife, an everyday mom.  She's so removed from the pretenses that sometimes accompany the upward mobility (or just plain growing tired of the needs of the elderly) that afflicted her children and their spouses.

Honored Contributor

Long time fave of mine, Grant and Dunne made a super on screen couple in many films. And Edgar Buchanan as Uncle Apple Jack, remember him from Petticoat Junction. 

Respected Contributor

This movie just tears me up .. I have seen it and think it is a great

movie ....

Honored Contributor

I got wound up writing the alert for it, then forgot to watch or record!  Timing wasn't right, I'll have to look for it next time.

In addition to the wrenching family story, it's an interesting (and perhaps more realistic than its contemporaries') portrait of a marriage under duress...  Agree that Grant and Dunne together were tops!

Trusted Contributor

This is a wonderful touching movie.  It is a tear-jerker. Cary did a great job and so did she.

Honored Contributor

One of my favorite films. That darling little girl melts my heart. The ending was so poignant and the entire cast was wonderful!

Thank you for posting @Oznell . A lovely holiday treat!Heart