Honored Contributor

"PATTERNS" VAN HEFLIN BEATRICE STRAIGHT SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Patterns"  Van Heflin, Ed Begley, Beatrice Straight, Everett Sloane, Elizabeth Wilson

Written by the peerless Rod Serling, this is a sharp, instantly compelling study of corporate life and culture in midcentury America.

Do you love "Executive Suite"?  Prepare to add "Patterns" to your list of faves.  The cast is unusually distinguished, with Van Heflin a total standout (as usual!) as a new hire at a huge New York company.  He's a savvy manager, but also a guy with heart, who sees what's being done by the big boss to an aging Ed Begley, a company loyalist. Company politics is byzantine and cutthroat, but Heflin doesn't go for that...

This is a terrific Saturday prime time watch!

I love the way Van Heflin seamlessly works with the various people who "intersect" with him at the office.  Watch below how he doesn't miss a beat as he assigns tasks, but takes the necessary time to be a human being as it's called for.  Heflin is such a subtle and observant and wonderful actor!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/349429/Patterns-Movie-Clip-Too-Strenuous.html

Respected Contributor

Re: "PATTERNS" VAN HEFLIN BEATRICE STRAIGHT SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Haven’t seen this one. Looks good. Watching one now. Never tire of film noir movies.

Super Contributor

As always, thank you @Oznell

I don't believe I have seen Patterns before. I do love me a good Van Heflin movie. DVR has been set.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched this a few months ago when I heard it was written by Rod Serling.

Why can't we have excellent writing like this again?

Esteemed Contributor

3-1/2 stars. 5 pm--ca time

Honored Contributor

Such a good question, @YorkieonmyPillow.  So much of the writing for films now is canned and derivative, and from a narrow world view.  I believe when people like Serling were writing for media, they wrote out of a broad, educational background that gave them perspective and a certain depth.  At least, the better ones had that...

Honored Contributor

Excellent script;  kept feeling this was set in present-day D.C.

Honored Contributor

As good as this was, that ending bothered me the first time, and still bugs me.  I think they were going for a "pragmatic" ending, instead of an idealistic one, in which Van Heflin would wipe the dust from that place from his feet and light out for better territory, like he said to his wife in that bar.

I don't see how he could ever work in tandem with that detestable Everett Sloan, no matter the shallow consolation he would have in crossing swords with him....

That horrible, squirm-worthy behavior in those meetings reminded me of public events in which men have been ambushed and tormented to varying degrees.  Sadly, that kind of behavior is rooted deep in the baser recesses of human nature, and can be found everywhere, from the public square, to faculty lounges, to the bowels of bureaucracy or the precincts of commerce, I'm afraid.

Honored Contributor

Missed it but I've seen it-just didn't know the name of it. VH is always good. His sister used to be on All My Children. For years! Just thought I'd throw that in. Pretty good movie as I recall.

Honored Contributor

Begley was only 55 when he made Patterns, and sadly, Everett Slaone committed suicide at the age of 55, in fear that he was going blind. Begley died at age 69 from a heart attack.