Honored Contributor

"PANIC IN THE STREETS" RICHARD WIDMARK, BARBARA BEL GEDDES SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Panic in the Streets". Richard Widmark, Barbara Bel Geddes, Jack Palance, Paul Douglas, Zero Mostel

Riveting thriller, infused with the special touches of director Elia Kazan ("A Streetcar Named Desire",  "On the Waterfront").  The film takes spectacular advantage of its richly atmospheric New Orleans setting, and even uses lots of New Orleanians in bit parts and as extras.

Adorable Richard Widmark is an officer and doctor with the U.S. Health Service, who is called in to examine a suspicious body.  He concludes that he is looking at an example of "pneumonic plague" (the pulmonary version of bubonic plague) and must enlist the police and local authorities to save the city from contagion and unspeakable tragedy.

Widmark is fabulous in roles that explore his buried, controlled, but almost feral intensity, in juxtaposition with that easy, Midwestern, all-American sweetness of his.  Striking dichotomy.   Love his tender, close, relationship with his wife (Barbara Bel Geddes), which keeps him grounded while all hell is breaking loose for him professionally...

He battles the skepticism of others in charge who doubt the urgency of the situation, and must penetrate the rancid underbelly of dockside New Orleans in a frantic quest for clues.  AND the ever-pesky press must be kept in the dark lest wholesale general panic ensue...

Add in ultra-quirky character actors like a young Jack Palance and Zero Mostel, authentic locations and gorgeous, "noirish" black-and-white cinematography.  You have an absorbing Saturday night flick!

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/460159/Panic-in-the-Streets-Original-Trailer-.html

Honored Contributor

Re: "PANIC IN THE STREETS" RICHARD WIDMARK, BARBARA BEL GEDDES SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN

Thanks, @Oznell. I've seen it. I'm not much on stuff as suggested in the movie, so won't be watching again, but I sure like Richard Widmark. (remember Lucy reading his name on the grapefruit she stole from his tree? hahahaha) It just came to me-couldn't resist.

Is Eddie back?

Honored Contributor

Re: "PANIC IN THE STREETS" RICHARD WIDMARK, BARBARA BEL GEDDES SATURDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN

Yeah, @Judaline, isn't he the best?  Loved when Lucy tangled with Widmark!

Eddie is back, with tonight being "Angel Face".  Maybe I should do an alert, although it's such a fan favorite probably most people have seen it.  Such a great vehicle for Mitchum and Jean Simmons...

That reminds me, I don't think I've seen @GingerPeach check in about movies lately?  Hope all is well and we'll see you soon, @GingerPeach!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Yeah, @Judaline, isn't he the best?  Loved when Lucy tangled with Widmark!

Eddie is back, with tonight being "Angel Face".  Maybe I should do an alert, although it's such a fan favorite probably most people have seen it.  Such a great vehicle for Mitchum and Jean Simmons...

That reminds me, I don't think I've seen @GingerPeachcheck in about movies lately?  Hope all is well and we'll see you soon, @GingerPeach!

Uh-oh, I wonder where she lives?

Don't spoil Angel Face! I don't think I can see that again, if you know what I mean!

Respected Contributor

Watching Panic and enjoying it. Always liked Richard Widmark. Great supporting cast. Jack Palance was always riveting. Chiseled features.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for thinking about me, @Oznell and @Judaline.

I'm not in a current danger zone.  I'm on the West coast (which makes my life not only free of hurricanes -- although earthquakes, you know -- but provides a more civilized hour in which to watch noir.)  

Hope everyone is safe.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

So nice of you to check in and let us know, @GingerPeach!   I knew your location was not the current dangerous storm zone, but did not want to say, in case, like many, you prefer not to have your exact whereabouts pinpointed on social media...

Looking forward to your future film insights as always, whenever you see fit.  Eddie has some good, (if familiar) things coming up, yay...