Honored Contributor

Re: "OUTNUMBERED" IS PRACTISING SOCIAL DISTANCING

Unfortunately, in the kind of lurid coverage that I've spoken of, Politico and some other like outlets characterized the quote as that the virus itself was a hoax.  That was not the case.  It was said that the politicization of the virus was yet another hoax being tried, not the virus itself.

I've seen this kind of distortion by various media sources again and again.  Many more examples could be cited, but that would entail going beyond what we can do in this forum.

I started the thread highlighting what one show was doing to promote social distancing, and some posters used it to attack the channel.  I personally feel that, should they want to go to that topic, a new thread should be started by those interested in doing so.

Esteemed Contributor

Actually there is misinformation on this thread. It is a moderate show. Very middle. Now they have a variety of guest who lean far on both sides. Not necessarily a bad thing. Discussion is a good thing. Not in the screaming way the view way. I find discussions on all channels

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I saw serious consideration given to the virus there, @tansy ,  although I did not see scare tactics and obfuscation which some other outlets, both online and television, have used.

I am not sure I am following you here, @Oznell.  Are you saying that you have never seen the scoffing comments and laughter about COVID-19 by Carlson, Pierro, Ingraham, Hannity and the other opinion/entertainment FOX shows?  

I will answer as I watch all those. No I haven't. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

I saw serious consideration given to the virus there, @tansy ,  although I did not see scare tactics and obfuscation which some other outlets, both online and television, have used.

I am not sure I am following you here, @Oznell.  Are you saying that you have never seen the scoffing comments and laughter about COVID-19 by Carlson, Pierro, Ingraham, Hannity and the other opinion/entertainment FOX shows?  

I will answer as I watch all those. No I haven't. 

If it were allowed here, @Nancy Drew, I would provide numerous examples.  I agree that the station is whistling a different tune now.  

@Oznell, thanks for your response.  I'll continue to check out your movie reviews if that's okay😏

Honored Contributor

@tansydear, I'm delighted!

Valued Contributor

I watch all those shows too & I've never seen anyone laugh or scoff about this virus. I havent seen anyone laugh or scoff about the virus on other networks either. I would hope no one would laugh or scoff about something that's killing people around the world.
Honored Contributor

The problem is I only get TCM while I am in AZ.  

Trusted Contributor

I actually just watched a clip from a Fox host where he was talking about how we needed to stop travel in from China. Back at the END OF JANUARY.

Two days after that another network was complaining about the diversity of the task force. 

I'd highly recommend that if you want to know what's going on just pull up the press conferences from the feds and your state and just get the news for yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Sadly, @FLgardener some broadcasters are still trying to tie the virus to their agenda, but am thrilled if you have observed some doing better.  The online and TV outlets I've been following have given the straight story right along.

I haven't noticed the news outlets I'm watching tying the news to their agenda.  Have you been actually watching CNN and NBC?  Those are the stations that I watch.  They have had medical experts, many from the President's medial team, on giving accurate information since the beginning.  It did take the P. a while to get in line with what his team was saying, but it seems he's finally getting it, too, according to his last two Press conferences that I saw, and will be saving lives.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I have checked in when I can stand it, @NickNack , but for many years, I personally have found them dispensing with any pretense of objectivity, and find their heavily stacked panels, their lurid chyrons (sp?) and their editorializing presented as straight news, to be not helpful.  I have no problem whatsoever with opinion when it is labeled and characterized as such-- and enjoy a mix of straight reportage and clearly labeled opinion options from a variety of sources.

I think it's perfectly OK for us to have widely disparate views on the handling and unfolding of the crisis, and appreciate you being civil in response to someone who thinks differently than you.  Thank you!