Honored Contributor

"OUT OF THE PAST". ROBERT MITCHUM, JANE GREER, KIRK DOUGLAS TUESDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

11:15 a.m. Eastern--  "Out of the Past". Robert Mitchum, Jane Greer, Kirk Douglas, Rhonda Fleming

Directed by Jacques Tourneur, and considered by most critics to be one of the greatest film noirs.  Everything is near-perfect--  from the evocative title, to the cinematography, the flashback structure, and not least, the sparky chemistry between Mitchum and smoldering, doe-eyed Jane Greer.

Mitchum is a former detective who has assumed a new identity in an idyllic small town, complete with trusting, smitten girlfriend.  But he is forced to tell her a tortured tale of his recent past:  A polished, well-spoken crook, Kirk Doouglas (in a wonderfully confident perforrmance) had hired private eye Mitchum to retrieve Douglas's lovely, amoral mistress (Jane Greer) from a plangent tropical locale (Acapulco).  An instant, dangerous romantic triangle was created, when Mitchum dallied there too long, hooked as he was on enigmatic Jane's considerable charms...  

The crisply memorable hard-boiled dialogue is just one of many, many highlights of this plot-twisted mystery.  One of those films that yeilds new pleasures and insight with each viewing.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/415295/Out-Of-The-Past-Movie-Clip-Coming-Out-Of-The-Sun.html

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "OUT OF THE PAST". ROBERT MITCHUM, JANE GREER, KIRK DOUGLAS TUESDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN

I can't find the movie. The men are good actors. Thanks anyways. I will keep it in mind if I see it listed on my tv.

Honored Contributor

Re: "OUT OF THE PAST". ROBERT MITCHUM, JANE GREER, KIRK DOUGLAS TUESDAY 11:15 A.M. EASTERN

Oh, what a shame-- do you get TCM, @halfpint1?  If this helps, it is channel 256 on Direct TV.   Hope you can find it-- I think you would love it....

It's possible it's one of the ones also that TCM has available "on demand" (free and streaming) on their website.  If you google Turner Classic Movie Channel, you could go there and check.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1,  I checked last night and the Turner Classic Movies website didn't have "Out of the Past" on their free "on demand" service, at least not yet.

But often, after the regular TV showing of the film (today at 11:15 a.m. Eastern),  they will then put the movie into "on demand" on their site.  I think this is how they do it anyway.  @drizzellla has used that service before I think, quite successfully.  So you could check in a few days.

Hope this hasn't been too confusing!

Honored Contributor

Oh, don't miss this one. It's on my favorite films list for sure. I just didn't like the ending. 

I think Kirk Douglas was really good in this. Mitchum is one of my faves, too, but it kind of goes without saying how good he was. Jane Greer was an excellent choice. She didn't make many movies that I know of, anyway. I wonder why they cast her? They made another film together, trying to get another OOTP I guess. Can't think of the name of it. The Big Steal? It was good. Not exceptional by any means but those two were in it so I liked it.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely at the top of the list for noir. I must admit I am biased, just LOVE Mitchum. I totally agree with your assessment-everything in this film is just about perfect.

And the heat, the heat——oh my heart ♥️ be still.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@halfpint1,  I checked last night and the Turner Classic Movies website didn't have "Out of the Past" on their free "on demand" service, at least not yet.

But often, after the regular TV showing of the film (today at 11:15 a.m. Eastern),  they will then put the movie into "on demand" on their site.  I think this is how they do it anyway.  @drizzellla has used that service before I think, quite successfully.  So you could check in a few days.

Hope this hasn't been too confusing!

I just looked it up. And yes it is on Watch TCM. In fact I have it playing right now. I only caught the end of the movie yesterday, so will watch it now.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh, that's great news, @drizzellla, thanks for that. I knew you'd know.  Hope @halfpint1 sees this!