Honored Contributor

"ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS" CARY GRANT JEAN ARTHUR WEDNESDAY 1:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

1:30 a.m. Eastern--  "Only Angels Have Wings" Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Rita Hayworth.

Well, it's on in the wee hours, but that's what DVRs were made for, if you're not an insomniac.  Savvy director Howard Hawks ("Bringing Up Baby") has Cary as a tough-on-the-outside, devil-may-care pilot with his own flight company down in the rugged mountains of South America.  Of course, beautiful, smart and witty chorus girl Jean Arthur just happens to get stranded there, and she and Cary tangle, memorably.

Hawks makes the most of their chemistry, the wonderful stock company he's assembled, and the colorful, exotic and adventurous setting.  But for me it's mostly two magnetic stars and their romantic push and pull...   Jean Arthur, with that proletarian spunk,  cut-glass profile, wry humor, and unique squeak of a voice-- have always loved her.  What a foil she is for Cary Grant's sort of sultry, brooding, inwardness and withheld charisma in this film.  Great pairing.

Here's Arthur pushing back at what she perceives to be Cary's and the other fliers' callousness in the face of death.  Then she gets schooled in what's really going on:    

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/245100/Only-Angels-Have-Wings-Movie-Clip-Not-Much-Future.html

Honored Contributor

Re: "ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS" CARY GRANT JEAN ARTHUR WEDNESDAY 1:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell Thanks for the heads up but I’ll be in Layla land by then.  Always enjoy reading your synopsis.

Honored Contributor

Re: "ONLY ANGELS HAVE WINGS" CARY GRANT JEAN ARTHUR WEDNESDAY 1:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Wise girl, @OKPrincess, "early to bed and early to rise..."  etc.   Sweet dreams!

Honored Contributor

I know I will be up. Thanks, Oznell

I am watching You'll Never Get Rich. And am going to watch You Were Never Lovelier after that. So I figure, I will just keep going and watch all the movies.

This is what I like about being retired. I can stay up and watch all the movies I want. And tomorrow if I need to, I will catch up on my sleep.

Honored Contributor

Good for you, @drizzellla-- isn't that the life!   I noticed that there seems to be a Rita Hayworth fest going, what fun.  They're not showing my two faves, "Gilda" or "The Lady from Shanghai", but I think those were shown pretty recently....  Her part in "Only Angels Have Wings" is relatively small-- she was quite young and I think it might have been at the beginning of her career...

Enjoy the marathon!

Honored Contributor

Gilda will be on at 8 PM next Tuesday night. It will be followed by Lady From Shanghai. Rita Hayworth  is the Star of the Month. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the tip, @drizzellla!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Watched this gem last night and I cannot believe I had never seen this one. I love any movie with Jean Arthur in it. I have started buying some of her older movies available on CD. I must say, the movie dialogue in this was simply superb! It was not your usual fun or fluff romantic movie and goodness, I hardly recognized Rita Hayworth, she was that young! Of course Cary Grant was perfect, and he had an amazing supporting cast, especially "Kid" (Thomas Mitchell). 

Honored Contributor

That's a superb summing up, @TexasMom1-- you are so right on every point.  Thanks for mentioning yeoman character actor Thomas Mitchell-- he was terrific in this too.