Honored Contributor

"OF HUMAN BONDAGE" BETTE DAVIS LESLIE HOWARD TUESDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

11:45 a.m. Eastern--  "Of Human Bondage"  Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, Reginald Denny, Frances Dee, Kay Johnson, Reginald Owen

The filmed version of Somerset Maugham's scorching tale that started it all for Bette Davis.  Audiences of the time were electrified by her visceral, unvarnished interpretation of the waitress "Mildred".  Leslie Howard gives his usual subtle, brilliant performance as a partially disabled medical student, toxically obsessed with Mildred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8I9jWnEpA

Bonus:  "Bondage" is immediately followed by sudsy Barbara Stanwyck noir/drama "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" @ 1:15 p.m. Eastern....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=O9JSZDLtbzU

Respected Contributor

Re: "OF HUMAN BONDAGE" BETTE DAVIS LESLIE HOWARD TUESDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   I, so, love your recommendations!  You are our replacement for Robert Osborne!  TCM should tap into you.

Speaking of Barbara Stanwyck, have you seen Lady of Burlesque?  It has Michael O'Shea, Pinky Lee, Iris Adrian.  It's a fun movie, Stanwyck is wonderful and you can tell she's having a great time.  It's based on the book The G-String Murders by Gypsy Rose Lee.  Very enjoyable, a little dated!

Honored Contributor

Aww, @Somertime --  hardly!   But you are very kind.  Robert Osborne is our 'gold standard', for sure!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Leslie Howard: Favorite of all time. Not only because he was beautiful to look at and his acting outstanding his service WW1 he was injured. WW2 as a civilian helped spying. It is believed his plane shot down. He was a true hero in every way. Forever, Remembered. Gone not forgotten.⚘

Visit Memorials online leave pictures of flowers and notes on his Birthday. 

Honored Contributor

Of Human Bondage is a movie to see.  Davis and Howard are superb.  I haven't seen the movie in awhile but  am recording it on my DVR since I do have to go out.  But I look forward to watching this movie because I know It is entertainment at its best.

As far as Stanwyck is concerned, she is one of my favorite actresses.  Anything she stars in is a hit in my book!

Thanks Oznell, for your always welcome recommendations!

Honored Contributor

I'm a Bette Davis fan so this movie of course is right up there as a fave.

Unfortunately, we just dowgraded our cable and TCM is not available without paying an additional fee.  *sigh*

Enjoy, everyone.  Woman Happy

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 

Don't fret.  You can watch and/or download the movie from YouTube, burn onto DVD to watch at your leisure.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQQDMVOsR74

=============

@Oznell  Bettie should have gotten an Oscar just for this one scene responding to Leslie.....

Leslie, "You discust me."

The following should be all in CAPS....

Bettie, "Me?! I disgust you? You, you, you're too fine! You'll have none of me, but you'll sit here all night looking at your naked females...You cad! You dirty swine! I never cared for you, not once. I was always makin' a fool of ya. You bored me stiff! I hated ya! It made me sick when I had to let ya kiss me. I only did it because ya begged me. Ya hounded me and drove me crazy! And after you kissed me, I always used to wipe my mouth! WIPE MY MOUTH! I made up for it. For every kiss, I had a laugh. We laughed at ya, Miller and me, and Griffiths and me, we laughed at ya! Because you were such a mug, a mug, a mug! You know what you are? You gimpy-legged monster? You're a cripple! A cripple! A cripple!"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac   Gosh, just reading that dialog makes me tremble the way I did the one and only time I watched Bette deliver it.  She was spellbinding, but I could never watch OHB again -- too cruel, too depressing.  She was that good.

Respected Contributor

She reminded me of the wicked witch from the wizard of oz when she delivered that line 👿

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac  That is one of my favorite Bette Davis scenes. Another of my favorites of hers is from All About Eve: "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." She was definitely a great actress.