Honored Contributor

"O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE" ANNE BAXTER, CHARLES LAUGHTON, SUNDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

11:45 a.m. Eastern--  "O. Henry's Full House"  Jeanne Crain, Anne Baxter, Richard Widmark, Charles Laughton, Marilyn Monroe, Farley Granger, Oscar Levant, David Wayne

Unique, filmed collection of five short stories of O. Henry.  Five different directors were used, including greats Howard Hawks and Jean Negulesco.

Replete with O. Henry's irony, touching sentiment and suprise twists.  Most will respond to his famous, beloved "The Gift of the Magi",  economically and well told.

"The Last Leaf",  involving down-on-their-luck sisters living in the artsy environs of Greenwich Village, is compelling.  One (Anne Baxter) is desperately ill, and the other (Jean Peters, in an excellent role for her) struggles to motivate her to find the wish to live.  An artist friend may hold the answer...

Just so well done!   If you need inspiration or a lift today, this is it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP3N9AyKUvQ

Respected Contributor

Re: "O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE" ANNE BAXTER, CHARLES LAUGHTON, SUNDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell , love that movie. Especially, The Last Leaf. I get a kick out of The Ransom of Red Chief. I won't be home to see it and refuse to pay my cable company for anything extra so that I would be a ble to DVR it. They are too overpaid now. Thanks again for keeping us all informed.

Respected Contributor

Re: "O. HENRY'S FULL HOUSE" ANNE BAXTER, CHARLES LAUGHTON, SUNDAY 11:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks. May record it. Watched the video you posted and seems like a different side of Marilyn Monroe.
Trusted Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks again for the heads up !!!   Love the Last Leaf.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

oznell,

I saw this movie as a child, when it was first released, and I never forgot the drama of "the last leaf."  I was truly young; in elementary school, but I always tended toward sensitive subjects.

With a fondness for irony and plot twists, I have always enjoyed this wonderful production.   O'Henry was brilliant with his particular brand.

Respected Contributor

I loved it! Especially the Gift of the Maggi. Watched To Be or Not to Be after. Can you tell it's a very lazy Sunday?

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry I missed this movie, what a great cast of actors and actresses!!!!!  I will look for it when I check The TCM movies which I do periodically.  Thanks for the information!