Esteemed Contributor

I enjoyed watching the documentary.  She certainly was a "poor little rich girl" - wasn't she?

She was taken to the hospital and told that she had stomach cancer and had spread and she died 8 days later.  In a way, it was a blessing.  

She also admitted that if had a girl, she would never had let her live the "fast" life that she did.  She said when she finally went back to live with her mother, it was like living in a hotel.  She came and went as she pleased and almost married Sinatra.....  It almost sounded as though she always felt as though she was missing something and just couldn't find it.  She was childlike in a lot of ways.

I thought it was very well done and Anderson did a great job producing and/or directing it, along with hundreds of other people.  

What I found really strange was that her son (with Leopold Stokowski) had the same white hair that Anderson does - yet same mother and two different fathers.  Estranged from one other son with Leopold and suicide from another (with Wyatt Cooper)... Anderson really resembled his father.

Respected Contributor

Re: "Nothing Left Unsaid"

[ Edited ]

@sophiamarie   She went white haired in her early thirties and started to dye her hair jet black, so both of her sons come by it naturally.  Anderson went white haired very early as well.  She was estranged from her son Christopher Stokowski due to his psycharist's interference with his fiancee as a result, Christopher became a recluse and cut off contact with everyone including his fiancee.  Christopher contacted his mother about two years ago as well as his fiancee and at the time of his mother's death, they were no longer estranged.  Her other son, Stan Stokowski is a lovely person, he has a landscaping business in East Hampton, NY and has 3 children and grandchildren as well.  They all prefer a private life.

Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

Documentary with Gloria Vanderbilt and Anderson Cooper on CNN tonight at 8:00PM EST.  If you miss this airing, it's available on HBO On Demand.

@Diva on The Q  Oh thanks. Since I'm going to watch Apollo 11 at 9:00 on CNN, I'll just tune in an hour earlier.  I've seen that GV doc before but not for a while and it was good so I'll watch it again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Somertime   Thanks for all that info.  It was very interesting.  I'm glad she and Christopher were back together before she died.  Interesting about the white hair too.  So, Stan is the one we saw on TV, right???  They never  mentioned what he did and if he had a wife, children, etc.....

I saw a resemblance between Anderson and his half-brother - yet my husband said he couldn't see any at all....

Honored Contributor

It was EXCELLENT.  Made me sad all over again thinking about her being gone. What a life!

Respected Contributor

@sophiamarie   Yes.  I've attached a picture as well of him, Anderson and their Mom.  Stan is a private person and likes a low profile even in East Hampton, very understated.  I think Anderson would be the same way if he wasn't a journalist.  Stan and his brother, Christopher were the heirs to Stokowski estate, so they inherited money from their father.  Stan had a close relationship with his mother as well as his children.  I agree with you, I can see a family resemblance between Anderson and Stan!  Stan was 17 when Anderson was born.

anderson-cooper-family-siblings-half-brother-Stan-Stokowski.jpg

Honored Contributor

I watched the last hour last night on CNN. I've seen it before, it's a wonderful show.

When Gloria said that once you accept that life is a tragedy you can start living, that was so poignant. She had so much tragedy in her life.

I've read the book but I would love to year the audio version.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Honored Contributor

Great documentary, very interesting woman, very poignant.

I remember hearing about the “poor little rich girl” when I was growing up.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986