Honored Contributor

"NORTH BY NORTHWEST" CARY GRANT EVA MARIE SAINT WEDNESDAY 10:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:45 p.m. Eastern--  "North by Northwest"  Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Martin Landau, Leo G. Carroll

Finally, a film essential shown in prime time!   On how many occasions have we drooled over this, fellow fans?

The sizzling Grant/Saint pairing, the irreplaceable crop dusting scene, the train, the brittle dialogue among James Mason, Grant and Martin Landau, the costuming, the sets, the whirlwind pace?

I've gotten so I focus on tiny, fascinating details now, like the way Cary pronounces "Townsend" (as in "Mrs. Townsend".  I love his quirky pronunciations, many deriving from his English background.  Have you ever noticed, in "Bringing Up Baby",  he says "Peabody", pronouncing every syllable, while Katharine Hepburn slurs it into a fast "Peab'dy, consistent with her New England accent, I imagine...  But I digress!

And that house, that midcentury modern pile, right on the South Dakota prairie, where Cary has to go to rescue Saint from the clutches of Mason and Landau.  I pore over every frame of that house.  Wierdly, as attached as I am to English cottage style, that house just grabs me every time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "NORTH BY NORTHWEST" CARY GRANT EVA MARIE SAINT WEDNESDAY 10:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell  - As always, thanks for the alert!  Such a great movie.  Cary and Eva just perfect in their roles and that iconic scene of Cary running from the crop duster.  Will set my DVR.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "NORTH BY NORTHWEST" CARY GRANT EVA MARIE SAINT WEDNESDAY 10:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell 

Another favorite I could watch over and over! 

I love all the little subtle physical signals going on between Cary G. and Eva.  Both, cool and understated.  Fuses ready to be lit. 

The scenes on the train dining car...fab.  I've traveled by train as a child and, one of the treats allowed, was breakfast in the dining car.  Table linens, nice china, silver.  A wonderful memory. 

Everything is elegant, including those two Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree. They made great movies back then. No profanity, gratuitous violence or sex. Great story, action, dialogue. The scenery on the train is actually what you would see traveling north from New York City. 

Honored Contributor

As we all know this is a great film and the cast perfect.  My favorite Hitchcock movie is Rear Window but I also have high regard for this movie.  I always liked Eva Marie Saint especially in her role in On The Waterfront which is the first time I saw her.  She was in my opinion not a super star type but a wonderful actress who excelled in whatever she did.  I tend to think the great parts weren't there for her.

Honored Contributor

Another Hitchcock classic!  Never get tired of watching this one.

Respected Contributor

Great film.  Always look forward to the Mount Rushmore scene!

Honored Contributor

@LyndaGee, me too--  that frantic scramble over the serene, unchanging gazes of U.S. Presidents, is priceless, and such a Hitchcockian touch!

Honored Contributor

I watched this - for the umpteenth time last night - and I'm so glad I did.   I watched it at a friend's place who has a huge TV. It was just like watching it at the movies (which I've also done over the years at old film festivals) and it must have been a refurbished print too.  It was dazzling, esp. the Mt. Rushmore scenes and the scenes when Eva was wearing that beautiful red dress.  And, as it turns out, a gorgeous ruby necklace and ring.  I couldn't take my eyes off the necklace, which I never notice when I've watched this film on my own TV.  And Martin Landau's eyes were so blue!  He was very handsome in this film.  As many times as I've seen this, it was so fun to watch it again on that large screen (must have been HD).  And Grant was so handsome!  I never get bored watching this film and the exciting scenes (such as the crop duster scene) are always exciting.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, great report.  I think sometimes we forget how an enhanced viewing situation (enlarged screen, a print that has been brought up to pristine standards, etc.) can do so much for even a quite familiar film. With Hitchcock's brilliant visuals and all the detail he brought to a film, I can well imagine how it would 'spring to life' under the ideal viewing conditions you experienced.