Honored Contributor

"NORA PRENTISS" ANN SHERIDAN, KENT SMITH SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM, SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN

Midnight Eastern Saturday, repeated Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern.  Kent Smith, Ann Sheridan, Bruce Bennett, Robert Alda, Rosemary De Camp

nora-prentiss-lg.jpg

Restless married physician Kent Smith falls for nightclub singer Ann Sheridan, and hatches an ingenious plan for exiting his life, assuming a new identity and running away with her.  Can you guess that it doesn't always go as planned?   Interesting film noir with the always compelling, lushly costumed Ann Sheridan, and stalwart yeoman players like Kent Smith and Bruce Bennett.

Nice choice by Eddie for "Noir Alley",  given the rather repetitive selections recently.  "Nora Prentiss" is atmospheric and not shown that often.

96425b4c8c58726cad393d00d8247325.jpg

Ann Sheridan, the "Oomph Girl"!

Honored Contributor

Re: "NORA PRENTISS" ANN SHERIDAN, KENT SMITH SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM, SUNDAY 10:00

I do like this one, seen it many times!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: "NORA PRENTISS" ANN SHERIDAN, KENT SMITH SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM, SUNDAY 10:00

@Oznell 

Thanks much.  Love Ann Sheridan

Honored Contributor

This movie is a goodie!👍🏾

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Here are a few more images I didn't have time to post before rushing out this a.m. 

Even in "girl next door" mode, Ann is fabulous:

e57be941cdf2eedc152034b749aef49e.jpg

219861a91103caa4b755032afcbf360e.jpg

annsheridanvincentshermannoraprentiss47.jpg

In a funny way, she reminds me of the great Italian stars who were to come later, in the Fifties.  There's an almost lugubrious glamour, but there's also something so vital and REAL about her....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Midnight Eastern Saturday, repeated Sunday 10:00 a.m. Eastern.  Kent Smith, Ann Sheridan, Bruce Bennett, Robert Alda, Rosemary De Camp

nora-prentiss-lg.jpg

Restless married physician Kent Smith falls for nightclub singer Ann Sheridan, and hatches an ingenious plan for exiting his life, assuming a new identity and running away with her.  Can you guess that it doesn't always go as planned?   Interesting film noir with the always compelling, lushly costumed Ann Sheridan, and stalwart yeoman players like Kent Smith and Bruce Bennett.

Nice choice by Eddie for "Noir Alley",  given the rather repetitive selections recently.  "Nora Prentiss" is atmospheric and not shown that often.

96425b4c8c58726cad393d00d8247325.jpg

Ann Sheridan, the "Oomph Girl"!

@Oznell   As you know, I don't get TMC, but love your reviews.  I recently saw Unfaithful on Movies, with Ann Sheridan, have you seen this, it is very good.  Movies shows the same film noir over and over with a new one only every now and then, disappointed in this as there are so many, I would think, that could be shown.

Honored Contributor

Anyone else remember Ann Sheridan when she was on the soap, Another World, in the 60's??

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,  "The Unfaithful" is my favorite Ann Sheridan movie!  Plus it has the benefit of having adorable Zachary Scott as her hubbo...

@Shelbelle, so glad you mentioned that.  Went on a search, and found an interview that a guy named John Kobal did with her from that period in the Sixties.  It is a fab interview-- she must have liked him, and clearly he loved her, her authenticity and charm.  She tells story after story about her Hollywood days.  Wonderful read.  Here's the link:

http://www.ann-sheridan.com/Ann_Sheridan_Interviews/Ann_Sheridan_John_Kobal_Interview.html

Honored Contributor

Thanks, Oz, for the link, and BTW, another famous actress, Constance Ford, was also on Another World back then, she had a much larger role than Sheridan, but Sheridan played her BFF. 

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell
@mousiegirl
et al
Thank you for recommending this movie! I had never seen "Nora Prentiss" and I loved it. I am not really that familiar with Ann Sheridan...wow, she IS a beauty..."lugubrious glamour" indeed, Oz. Her hair was Veronica Lake luscious and her outfits...fantastic! She smolders onscreen.
I also have never seen Rosemary De Camp as a young actress, although I'm familiar with her later work in film and on TV. She is so talented, and I have always loved her rather matronly voice and demeanor, even as a younger actress. She was perfect as the loyal wife in this movie. And a young Robert Alda too! Wow! What a great cast.
The biggest surprise, though, for me personally was the lead actor Kent Smith. This is the first time I've seen him in anything. What a great-looking, suave actor. The epitome of the 1940s "tall, dark and handsome" casting call. I must Google him, as I don't think he was ever a big star.
Thanks again to all for this heads-up. I'm from California so it was great to see all the old footage of San Francisco.