Honored Contributor

Re: "NOCTURNE" GEORGE RAFT LYNN BARI SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN T

I think there's a sizable faction, Eddie included, who would agree with you, @Desert Lily.  Contrarily, I almost always find Raft's onscreen presence to be magnetic, myself-- there's that "it" quality and a certain authority he has, that draws me.

In this one, it's the late Forties' ambiance, the quirky touches like Raft amicably living as an adult with his savvy mother, and Lynn Bari's spark and sass making the interplay with Raft fun to watch...  Little things like that will often make up (to me) for any script or plot deficits that might exist....

But I can also see your point...

Trusted Contributor

Re: "NOCTURNE" GEORGE RAFT LYNN BARI SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN/SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN T

@Desert Lily wrote:

I love film noir, but I found Nocturne to be flat and uninteresting. I can't help but wonder if it could've been better with a replacement for George Raft. Eddie mentioned that Raft's acting didn't evolve well after the 1930's and was mediocre at best. My mom had told me that Raft had a brush with major gangsters in his youth, and he's never been a favorite of mine. I think he's fair in a supporting role, but IMO he's disappointing in a leading one.

We think alike!  It's not a bad movie, and I am glad I saw it even tho.......I love those movies.  Amazon Prime has alot of NOIR!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   We watched it last night. I loved the repartee between George and Lynn Bari. It surprised me that she was said to have the perfect body. I just didn't see it. In that bathing suit she just looked like anybody else. As skinny as me! I love her. Ever since she played the singer in Glenn Miller's band in Sun Valley Serenade. Anyway, these two were great together. (I had a flashback. Janzen bathing suits once voted Janet Leigh the most perfect body). 

I always notice the "heels" on George Raft's shoes. He was short I guess. I actually never liked him because I don't like gangster movies, but DH does and I've watched a few. But in these roles like Nocturne I have to say he grew on me. His woodeness could also be described as totally cool. At least that's the way I see it. Did you hear Eddie say that GR turned down The Maltese Falcon? Wow. He actually didn't make that many movies, did he? Loved They Drive by Night as was noted here.

The picture with Lynn Bari you posted-was that in the movie or a publicity shot, because I sure missed it? Eddie said that was THE best name for a noir movie out of all of them. I like it-sounds so intriguing. I also loved how they were all named Dolores. hahaha Just when you think you've found a clue! On to Johnny Angel. (I never did like Shelly Fabares, and that's one of those songs that sticks in your head, lol)

Honored Contributor

@Judaline,  I'm pretty sure also that that was a publicity still, b/c I didn't see it in the film either...

I love your comments about Raft, that "cool",  etc.  It's interesting that he's turning into a sort of Rorschach (sp?) test here--  people seem to quite like him, or they don't see the appeal at all! 

That's interesting about Janet Leigh-- I didn't know that.  Lynn Bari does get mentioned for her figure a lot-- they usually refer to her as "statuesque".   Maybe it has something to do with her bearing-- I really like her confidence in this film....

Frequent Contributor

As always I am so appreciative of your kind words, @Oznell 

Great clip from "Broadway".  I think George must have had it in his contract to include some dancing in those '40's melodramas, lol.   And check out his hip moves in the Bolero clips on YouTube.  Steamy Pre-Code stuff!  No wonder women loved him, on-screen and off.

Eddie could have said worse -- that Raft was considered "illiterate" due to leaving school at an early age but I question whether this is true.  George made some unfortunate career decisions; however, due to his tough Hell's Kitchen background, you couldn't push the guy around, lol.  Stubborn, unyielding, yes, but according to the women in his life, a real gentleman.  And, while not book-learned, very intelligent in his own way.  Perhaps the "controlling" aspect was a defense mechanism due to George's lack of a higher education.  Just speculating of course.  In any event, whatever one thinks of him, Raft made his mark on Hollywood and is a true movie icon.

Honored Contributor

Terrific analysis, @antiquarian!

I find it amusing that no less than Carole Lombard said flatly that Raft was the best romantic partner she ever had.  I do believe she was referring to her off-screen life....

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell   Yes, Carole was one of the lucky women to have "enjoyed" George off-screen, lol.   

I recall reading something where it stated that a few "ladies of the evening" proclaimed Raft to be one of their most desirable clients, a lovely man, "normal" in his "proclivities", and an all-around good guy!