Honored Contributor

"NOBODY LIVES FOREVER" JOHN GARFIELD, GERALDINE FITZGERALD WEE HOURS SUNDAY 12:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Half-past midnight (so it's really Sunday morning, technically, but I think of it as late Saturday night.)--

"Nobody Lives Forever"  John Garfield, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Walter Brennan, Faye Emerson, George Coulouris, George Tobias

Yay, Eddie Muller is back on track in "Noir Alley" (at last!) with this nifty noir/romance.  Magnetic John Garfield is a professional con man, newly returned from the war.  His old girlfriend (Emerson), a nightclub singer, may be a double-crosser.   Ambivalent Garfield is persuaded into one more proposed "con".  The target is beautiful, vulnerable young widow, Geraldine Fitzgerald, ripe for romancing and the  fleecing of her considerable pile of money.

Garfield is such an invaluable leading man, always able to convey sharp intelligence, while telegraphing the utmost personal appeal!  I'm glad Bogey turned this role down.  Great to see Warner Brothers' under-used Irish rose, Geraldine Fitzgerald as the woman Garfield falls for, in spite of himself.

Directed by the gifted Jean Negulesco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBmj6OVSEDo    

Honored Contributor

Re: "NOBODY LIVES FOREVER" JOHN GARFIELD, GERALDINE FITZGERALD WEE HOURS SUNDAY 12:30 A.M.

Honored Contributor

Re: "NOBODY LIVES FOREVER" JOHN GARFIELD, GERALDINE FITZGERALD WEE HOURS SUNDAY 12:30 A.M.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I've never seen this one, but noted that John Garfield was Frank Chambers in The Postman Always Rings Twice with one of my all time favorites, Lana T.

Sounds interesting...

Love that white outfit!

Frequent Contributor

John Garfield was such a good actor. He died so young.

Loved him in "Humoresque."

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman, I love that outfit too-- Forties' glamour perfection.  He's pursuing her in southern California, so there's lots of tony "coastal chic" going on...

@catsgalore5354--  that soulful violinist in "Humoresque" is my favorite role for Garfield too!  I love him when he's all sort of torn and conflicted...

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love watching John Garfield.

He is an actor who makes it look easy..much like Spencer Tracy.

John Garfield had that rugged, masculine quality with a whiff of danger about him that made him perfect for film noir.

Sterling hayden and Robert Ryan had that quality and also come to mind.

John Garfield died at 39 yrs old...tragic

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

@artisto 

@catsgalore5354 

Just watched the trailer.....priceless!

He kisses her, than slaps her face.  Yikes!

Honored Contributor

@artisto,  yours is the perfect description of John Garfield!

Honored Contributor

Am I weird to say that some of the noir films put me to sleep but I could listen to Eddie Muller talk about film all evening? What is it about him? I also like Ben Mankiewicz but there’s something about Muller and the details of his presentations that holds my attention.