Honored Contributor

"NO MAN OF HER OWN" BARBARA STANWYCK SUNDAY 12:15 A.M. EASTERN AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

401664_full.jpg

Saturday/Sunday, 12:15 a.m. Eastern AND Sunday, 10:00 a.m. Eastern--

"No Man of Her Own"   Barbara Stanwyck, John Lund, Lyle Bettger, Jane Cowl, Henry O'Neill, Phyllis Thaxter, Richard Dennison, Milburn Stone

Stanwyck's boyfriend (Lyle Bettger) wants no more to do with her, now that she's pregnant.  But a train wreck and the resulting death of another expectant mother (Phyllis Thaxter) gives her a chance at a whole new life, and maybe a new love as well--  if deceit, blackmail and murder don't intervene...

Eddie Muller's "Noir Alley" gives us another plunge into a Barbara Stanwyck film noir!   Although I think of "No Man of Her Own" as not really a straight noir, more of a romantic melodrama, with strong 'soap' overtones.   Just as enjoyable, in its way, as a true noir.

nomanofherown1950.85108.jpg

Stanwyck is never less than compelling, and her two male cohorts make interesting foils for her.  With John Lund and Lyle Bettger, it's a total dimple fest, don't you agree?

John Lund's scribble on this fan photo gives us a glimpse into his self-deprecating humor:

181758.jpg

Lyle Bettger's no slouch in the dimple department either:

3b489c53da3089ef3d505b7e9183cd68.jpg

He can come across as a lot more dangerous than that though, like in the first photo with Babs, and here too:

418942_full.jpg

I don't know why, I get a kick out of certain blond second-tier leading actors of Golden Era Hollywood, love Dennis O'Keefe, Dan Duryea and William Lundigan too, ha.

I like the whole cast in this-- of course, the peerless Miss Stanwyck is the prime draw, and there's sweet Phyllis Thaxter and old pros like Jane Cowl and Henry O'Neill.

This movie is fun because of the "identity switch" that Stanwyck manages to pull off.  The only thing better than a "new identity" melodrama, is an amnesia film noir....

Speaking of old pros, I came across this intriguing photo of a late-career Lyle Bettger, and Dana Andrews, relaxing and chatting on the set of their movie.  Would love to know what they're saying:

122485_full.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: "NO MAN OF HER OWN" BARBARA STANWYCK SUNDAY 12:15 A.M. EASTERN AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN

I am not familiar with this movie but I will be as I have it set to tape!  As I have commented before, Barbara Stanwyck is up there with the best actresses in the entertainment world!  

The cast is an interesting group and while I am not as familiar with them , from the pictures you provided, I have seen both actors in many movies.  As always, thanks for the heads up and great synopsis of this movie.  You have much knowledge of so many movies and the casts.  One thing I always enjoy are the settings in these old movies.  Being a lover of antiques and styles and decor of the past, it is always fun to see many of the settings that fit the movies.

Happy Mother's Day to you!!!!!!

Super Contributor

Re: "NO MAN OF HER OWN" BARBARA STANWYCK SUNDAY 12:15 A.M. EASTERN AND 10:00 A.M. EASTERN

[ Edited ]

I think the 1996 movie "Mrs. Winterbourne" was based on the same novel as this movie.  The last photo you posted is a nice one of the two actors relaxing and chatting on the set.

Honored Contributor

Hey, thank you, @spiderw ,  and a very happy Mother's Day to you too!  And to all classic movie lovers and Q posters in general.  

@QVCisFun,  that is interesting- I will look up "Mrs. Winterbourne".   And I really liked this candid photo of on-set "real life" interaction too.  Especially fun to see actors of the golden age of Hollywood, behind the scenes and not 'on their guard".

Honored Contributor

Just finished watching it.

Kept you thinking. I like that. But I thought it was a bit predictable - until the ending scene.

Then I could see why Eddie Muller picked it. Don't want to say anymore until others have watched it.

Contributor

Just finished watching it.  Thanks for the head up, I thought it was quite good.

Honored Contributor

Thanks so much, @drizzellla ,  and @primroses ,   for giving your reactions after watching!   I love that!

Agreed, @drizzellla ,  that ending is socko.  Great choice by Eddie for "Noir Alley".

Next week's entry,  "The Killer is Loose",   is not as riveting, yet is a tense little Fifties thriller, with adorable Joseph Cotten (one of my faves).