Honored Contributor

"NIGHTMARE ALLEY" TYRONE POWER, COLLEEN GRAY SUNDAY 10:00 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Midnight Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. Sunday Eastern-- 

"Nightmare Alley"  Tyrone Power, Joan Blondell, Colleen Gray, Helen Walker

Haunting depiction of a talented grifter's rise to fame, prosperity, even social acceptance.  Probably Tyrone Power's best performance.

He starts out in the circus world, but a mix of charm, intuition and a con man's eye for opportunity earns him a chance to function on his own as a well-known "telepath" or mentalist. He becomes much in demand at swank nightclubs around the country. 

He meets his match in the "straight" world when he encounters respected Chicago psychiatrist (Helen Walker), who, it turns out, is a sophisticated sociopath and only too ready to use her skills to probe his vulnerabilities and exploit his emotions...  The pair are a toxic combo, with the consummate con man unprepared for his new partner's surpassing duplicity...

Power, Joan Blondell, Colleen Gray and Helen Walker are just outstanding in this moody, atypical noir.  I may not watch the whole thing again, but will DVR just to hear Eddie's verdict!  

Frequent Contributor

Re: "NIGHTMARE ALLEY" TYRONE POWER, COLLEEN GRAY SATURDAY MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

I like this movie, too bad its not offered earlier, i will probably be up to see the beggining. thanks for the heads up!! seeing Tyrone Power as a 'geek", he is unrecognizable!

Esteemed Contributor

Sound great thanks @Oznell 

Super Contributor

@judsey wrote:

I like this movie, too bad its not offered earlier, i will probably be up to see the beggining. thanks for the heads up!! seeing Tyrone Power as a 'geek", he is unrecognizable!

@judsey 

Hi judsey, just so you know, "Nightmare Alley" will be repeated at 10am (eastern) on Sunday morning. I've never seen this film and look forward to watching.

Honored Contributor

It is, @godi, but I feel I should add a word of caution, especially for the "sensitives" out there-- of which I am one, ha.

It's devastating to see what Tyrone Power goes through, and the film is draining (although not half as bleak and demoralizing as the novel!).  So it is terribly well done, and in some ways more searing and candid than most films of the classic age, but just want people to know what they're in for...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Oh, I totally forgot that, @lil spot--  thank you for the reminder of the repeat Sunday morning showing!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   I, totally, agree!  Devastating is the proper word to describe this movie.  Tyrone Power is exceptionally good in this role, a true departure for him.  I hate that it is on at Midnight, it, always, upsets me so much and at the bewitching hour might not be a good idea for me.  The light of day might be a better choice for me.  It's not shown very often.  I can, still, remember the first time I saw it, was haunted for days.  This is a favorite of my husband's.

His other favorite is The Night of The Hunter with Robert Mitchum and Shelley Winters, another movie that haunts me but in a different way!

Honored Contributor

What fine taste he has, @Somertime--  "The Night of the Hunter" is remarkable in every way, and a crowning achievement for Charles Laughton as director...

Esteemed Contributor

Me over at the TLHS box...just asking. More so curious. 

@Oznell 

NAES 5-4-'19  SAT. 

Honored Contributor

Wow, you captured me with your synopsis.  I'll set it to record.

Thank you, oznell!