Honored Contributor

Re: "NIAGARA" MARILYN MONROE, JOSEPH COTTEN 12:30 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

@Oznell wrote:

Thank you, @Trinity11!

Wow, Dorothy Jeakins was very talented.  I agree, the costuming for Marilyn in this was exceptional.  It didn't "fight" with her naturally curvy figure.  Love the tailoring on her too, and the cute touches like that beret.  She looked fantastic!

@Oznell... I think I was born at the wrong time. I loved the way women dressed back then and have never really gotten into the athleisurewear of today.

Honored Contributor

Me too, totally, @Trinity11.

Honored Contributor

I decided I couldn't wait until the end of July to see this movie.  It's no longer available to rent from Netflix as a DVD.  (I don't have or want streaming and don't watch on my computer.)

I found the Marilyn Monroe, Diamond Collection, Volume II, with five DVD movies including Niagara on amazon for just a little over $20. It arrived the next day!

The movies included are: 

Don't Bother to Knock / Let's Make Love / Monkey Business / Niagara / River of No Return

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Can't tell you how many times I've seen this movie due to Joseph Cotten.   My all time fave actor.   Have you seen Since You Went Away....all time fave movie LOL....I think TCM is showing it May 2nd.Heart

Honored Contributor

@doolie!   I adore him too!   Yes, yes, "Since You Went Away",  and also "Shadow of a Doubt",  "The Third Man",  "The Magnificent Ambersons".  I even seek out his lesser films, like the nifty little thriller "Blueprint for Murder", in which he gradually comes to the horrified realization that his sister-in-law may be a sociopath...

Elegant, civilized, but with the suggestion of complexities underneath that charming exterior-- he's just the best.  His honeyed, subtly-inflected voice is another part of his appeal.

We must alert each other on here whenever there's a Joseph Cotten movie on the horizon!

Super Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@doolie!   I adore him too!   Yes, yes, "Since You Went Away",  and also "Shadow of a Doubt",  "The Third Man",  "The Magnificent Ambersons".  I even seek out his lesser films, like the nifty little thriller "Blueprint for Murder", in which he gradually comes to the horrified realization that his sister-in-law may be a sociopath...

Elegant, civilized, but with the suggestion of complexities underneath that charming exterior-- he's just the best.  His honeyed, subtly-inflected voice is another part of his appeal.

We must alert each other on here whenever there's a Joseph Cotten movie on the horizon!

Oznell thank you for that beautiful photo.  I will keep my eye out for any of his movies.  Oh and my other faves are Jennifer Jones and Claudette Colbert.   

Esteemed Contributor

I taped the movie to watch later on. I think "Niagara" is one of the great uses of color film and it was Marilyn Monroe's first film in color. She's unforgettable in this movie. I love her wardrobe in this movie too. She just exudes a confident sexuality with the bad girl persona.

Who wouldn't want to visit the falls after watching this movie?