Honored Contributor

Re: "NIAGARA" MARILYN MONROE, JOSEPH COTTEN 12:30 A.M. EASTERN TUESDAY TCM

@Oznell wrote:

Half-past midnight Eastern--  "Niagara"  Joseph Cotten, Marilyn Monroe, Jean Peters, Casey Adams

Oozing a kind of restless magnatism, Marilyn deceives tormented hubby Joseph Cotten at Niagara Falls with her scheming lover.  Only another vacationing couple (Peters and Adams) at the same tourist court, begin to penetrate their secrets and hope to avert tragedy...

Henry Hathaway directed this splashy film noir for maximum atmosphere and suspense in the shadow of the Falls.  Fabulous cinematography, haunting score, sensitive acting by Joseph Cotten and Jean Peters, and the glorious technicolor angst of Marilyn...

This is a really good movie.  Very intense in some scenes.  The actors did a great job in this movie.  

Respected Contributor

I love this movie. It keeps the audience in that "disturbing" zone, and the setting is awesome.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Marilyn's walk across the bridge was the longest walk at that time recorded. Notice her swaying hips, she made one of her heels shorter. Pure! Genius. 

Super Contributor

Absolutely one of my favorite movies!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up Oznell! I adore this movie.

i was at the Falls a few years ago. (my sister lives in Ontario) and of course I was chomping at the bit to go to the Crown Plaza where she stayed. Taking pictures of the room (door # 801) where she stayed gave me goose bumps. : )

My gosh...I don't think there was a more beautiful woman during her time.

Valued Contributor

I think Marilyn looked her most beautiful in this movie and Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

I agree with you @Oznell , it was hard to see Joseph Cotten in this role. My favorite movie role of his was The Farmer's Daughter with Loretta Young.

Poor Marilyn never seemed to find happiness unfortunately. I think she was a good actress but I don't think she was given the credit as an actress she deserved. It's sad she had such a hard life and seemed to be used by so many people.

Honored Contributor

Darn, I missed it.  I love this movie.

It will luckily be repeated July 31, 2019 @ 11:15 PM (PST).

Related image

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I stayed up to watch it @Oznell and it never fails to enthrall me. Every time I watch it, I find something new that I missed previously.

Marilyn was breath-taking in this film. I need to check if Edith Head was who dressed her for her role....

Thanks again for all your wonderful suggestions. I look forward to reading this forum because of your knowledge of the film industry.Heart

Honored Contributor

Just a bit of trivia....Dorothy Jeakins was the costume designer. I read that one of her dresses was purposely made in hot pink rather than red to enhance her skin tone.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Trinity11!

Wow, Dorothy Jeakins was very talented.  I agree, the costuming for Marilyn in this was exceptional.  It didn't "fight" with her naturally curvy figure.  Love the tailoring on her too, and the cute touches like that beret.  She looked fantastic!