Valued Contributor

"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" starring Jimmy Stewart @ 8:00 TCM

This is a great classic film. Jimmy Stewart was made for this part. And, Frank Capra is the director - what a great combination. Jean Arthur is delightful too. And you can't ask for a better supporting cast - Edward Arnold, Claude Rains, Thomas Mitchell, Beulah Bondi, and Harey Carey.

Jimmy Stewart plays a young naive Senator who eventually has to fight corruption in Washington, D.C. (do tell! LOL). At the end of the movie you want to stand up and cheer for Jimmy's character, Senator Jefferson Smith.

Honored Contributor

Re: "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" starring Jimmy Stewart @ 8:00 TCM

So true, that role does seem tailor-made for Jimmy Stewart's own special brand of idealism, wry humor and sturdy integrity.   You're exactly right, @cimeranrose, you do want to cheer Jimmy standing up to the corrupt Senator Payne (not sure if that's his name).

The scene where Jean Arthur bucks Stewart up, and gives him a pep talk when he is discouraged, plays like a love scene to me-- it is such a close, special moment between someone who is a disillusioned idealist, and someone who is a 'wised-up' skeptic, but who knows and values integrity when she sees it.

I also love Thomas Mitchell as her elfin-ike fellow reporter, and mischief-maker in arms!

Thanks for the alert, @cimeranrose!

Valued Contributor

Well, I enjoyed watching that again - it's been a few years. I like how you describe Jimmy Stewart @Oznell - "sturdy integrity." I always felt Jimmy Stewart had more of Indiana, Pennsylvania in him than Hollywood, even after all those years in Hollywood. I think that came across on the screen and that's why people liked him so much.

I mentioned this in another thread awhile ago, but Jimmy Stewart visited Brigham Young University in the early 80's and I had the privilege of seeing and hearing him speak because I was a student there. I was so excited to be able to tell my dad about it because he was a Jimmy Stewart fan.

Honored Contributor

Very discerning, @cimeranrose.  Despite the stardom, the accolades, the sophisticated life, the small town boy was ever-present in Stewart. Oh, what fun to have seen him live--  I would cherish that too!