Honored Contributor

"Mildred Pierce" on TCM @ 6:00 p.m.

Boy, Turner Classic Movies has really been rolling out the noir movies lately. Do you suppose they figure b/c of Christmas holidays more people will be home and eager to watch these blockbuster classics?

Even before "Mildred Pierce" this aft. they will be showing the legendary "Double Indemnity" at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.  That is great, but I have seen it a little too recently.  Stanwyck is so good in that, and the under-rated Fred MacMurray.  Edward G. Robinson is brilliant and tenacious as the insurance investigator who has to figure out the murder...

"Mildred Pierce" has so many good elements, esp. that beach house I'm obsessed with!  And perennial wisecracking sidekick, Eve Arden.  My all-time favorite Joan Crawford thriller, though, is "Sudden Fear", with its ominous 'ticking clock' motif.  Joan is a wealthy playwright who falls for corrupt actor, Jack Palance. Well worth getting on DVD....

Honored Contributor

Re: "Mildred Pierce" on TCM @ 6:00 p.m.

@Oznell  do you recall a fim  called  A woman's face, or something like  it?  I think Joan starred as a hard bitten criminal with  facial scars. I don't remember much more about it than that

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@OznellThanks!

I used to love watching this movie with my mom.Heart

I used to say this line from the movie and we would crack up laughing together:

“With this money I can get away from you. From you and your chickens and your pies and your kitchens and everything that smells of grease."Smiley Very Happy

I would always say it wrong.

I would say I can't wait to get away from your greasy chicken and pies! LOL!

Super Contributor

@OznellThank you for the reminders! I love TCM channel. I have my DVR all set and ready to go.

@cherryYes, that is the name of the movie, "A Woman's Face". Great movie, it's been awhile since I've seen it.

Honored Contributor

Yes, cherry and IIIspot, I vaguely remember parts of "A Woman's Face".  Isn't it set in Sweden or some Scandinavian country?  I'd like to see it in full.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Boy, Turner Classic Movies has really been rolling out the noir movies lately. Do you suppose they figure b/c of Christmas holidays more people will be home and eager to watch these blockbuster classics?

Even before "Mildred Pierce" this aft. they will be showing the legendary "Double Indemnity" at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.  That is great, but I have seen it a little too recently.  Stanwyck is so good in that, and the under-rated Fred MacMurray.  Edward G. Robinson is brilliant and tenacious as the insurance investigator who has to figure out the murder...

"Mildred Pierce" has so many good elements, esp. that beach house I'm obsessed with!  And perennial wisecracking sidekick, Eve Arden.  My all-time favorite Joan Crawford thriller, though, is "Sudden Fear", with its ominous 'ticking clock' motif.  Joan is a wealthy playwright who falls for corrupt actor, Jack Palance. Well worth getting on DVD....

I just watched Double Indemnity.  Caught it from the middle.  Great movie.  Love Mildred Pierce.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Pqfan--  That is too funny-- that is one of many quotable, campy speeches in the film.  It's great to have memories of watching favorite flicks with loved ones...

yellow919-- Yes, "Double Indemnity" is a gem of writing, acting and directing.  Since "Mildred" is on at 6:00, I might try to convince hubby and son to "picnic" in the living room and watch it...

Respected Contributor

I have the day off today, and what a treat on TCM! It started this morning with The Postman Always Rings Twice, then Double Indemnity and The Big Sleep followed by Mildred Pierce. They're all great. Thanks again for the Mildred Pierce reminder...it's definitely a favorite of mine.