Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Midnight Lace" Tonight TCM

My DVR is set.  I would rather watch it in the daytime - that voice gives me the creeps!!

Honored Contributor

The first time I ever saw it - as a teenager - it scared the heck out of me.  

Nowadays when I watch it, I can't believe I was so scared back then.

Honored Contributor

Oznell,,

Every movie Doris Day made was entertaining, enjoyable and worth watching.  She was in many light hearted movies but her dramas were as good.  Midnight Lace has always been a favorite and I look forward to seeing it again, you never tire of great movies.

I love Doris Day as a person as well as a movie star.  She is involved with animal welfare and I donate to her cause .   She has always been an animal advocate and in my book she is a star just for that!  God bless her.

Enjoy the movie!

Honored Contributor

Great elevator scene, with Doris's mounting terror....

Honored Contributor

Well put, @spiderw!

Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Believe it or not, Oznell, as I read your description of Doris Day as an actress, my mind leapt to her similariity to Jimmy Stewart.  

AND THAT WAS YOUR NEXT THOUGHT!!!

Gotta be true.

@golding76

I have seen two of Doris Day's movies that I thought somewhat interesting; she is best in mystery movies, but,,,,,,(!) an all 'round Doris day..I can only take about 20 minutes of with her goody two shoes persona.

I have no interest for her work, meaning I become bored with the same 'ole typical theme of a wife at home, there are no 'guts' in her style. The hair is never out of place, the children never cause her to say anything above a whisper, and she cleans house in something I would be going to church in.

Woman Surprised May BE I have __not__ seen what you and some of the others have seen?!

Ha,ha, just a movvvvieeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Will catch "Midnight Lace". That's a 5 star. Goodie.

'My husband doesn't like her, either". Doesn't have that missing UMPHH. 

Enjoy,

we are each different with our favs.    Talk with everyone later.

Heart

They're just movies ! She couldn't help what they had her do/look like. Like the mom in Leave it to Beaver, pearls and heels around the house. That's the way it was. Yeah, her hair was flawless, etc, but hey! That's Hollywood for ya. She could play it all. I'd say you like her or you don't.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NAES1 wrote:

@Oznell

Firstly, what is that phrase >'to the eye candy '...[OR]  just EYE CANDY?

I've seen that posted by an eighty three woman every time when she goes to her Ophthalmologist (??)

Never heard that before. Meaning looking at a handsome man? Maybe?

My husband called and said something (??) tonight with Clint Eastwood - I'll definitely watch anything he's in if not shoot 'em up films.

I know..he's in a lot of westerns, but there was one I saw 2 years ago and never knew the name. he is befriended by a group of FOUR women in a barren part of town when he is escaping from his Civil war party, and EACH falls in love with him..when he slyly tells [each] she IS THE ONE. They all find out and the rest is just unbelievable. I won't give any spoilers out.

Hope that ONE Clintwood movie would be on again -I want my husband to see this>>>one. 

I will watch anything Ethel Barrymore!

Back to Doris Day, when one of the posters said she was under rated or close to that;

'''YES, she would, IF having Rock Hudson as her lover. I rest my case".

They were very close friends till his death.

BTW, that movie was called The Beguiled with Clint Eastwood. I would never want to see it again. It's on quite frequently, not on TCM tho.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

So glad you're enjoying your new channel, @OKPrincess. I'm sorry your first Garbo film disappointed.  Now that I've seen "Ninochka" again after a number of years, I can see why you would be somewhat underwhelmed.  Funny how you can transform films in your memory!  Although NInochka is good, you really don't get to see full force Garbo's special quality, that unique radiance she had in movies like "Anna Karenina" and "Queen Christina".

You mentioned other channels coming in a package with TCM.  Did you get a chance to check them out yet?  Any good ones? 

Sorry I'm now getting back to this thread. I am attaching my new stations for $10.  I haven't had time to check them all out yet. These movies on TCM reminds me of the station taken away THIS. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out. Thanks to you and all the others with your help.

IMG_0085.JPG

Honored Contributor

Hey, that looks good, @OKPrincess.  I wonder what "Encore Classic" and "Encore Suspense" are like.  Along with TCM, you have the Fox Movie Channel, another source of vintage films.  The other channels look good too.  Looks like you got a good deal!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Hey, that looks good, @OKPrincess.  I wonder what "Encore Classic" and "Encore Suspense" are like.  Along with TCM, you have the Fox Movie Channel, another source of vintage films.  The other channels look good too.  Looks like you got a good deal!

I'll have to figure out how to look at the schedule in one place but Encore Classic is showing Pretty in Pink right now (11:50 CT) and Encore Suspense is showing Reindeer Games. Fox Movie Channel is showing Treasure of the Golden Condor.