Esteemed Contributor

Re: "Midnight Lace" Tonight TCM

@OKPrincess wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

Unfortunately, @OKPrincess, they don't normally repeat during the same day.  Some movies they seem to love to cycle back very quickly, showing it twice in one month or 6 weeks or so, but usually no closer than that.

we enjoyed four movies yesterday on TCM. Glad to have it now. I watched Clark Gable yesterday and saw Greta Garbo for the first time. 

OK Princess

There is an app called Watch TCM. It has many (not all) movies that were shown on TCM recently. So you can look to see if a movie you missed is on Watch TCM. The schedule also shows what movies are on Watch TCM.

It comes in handy, if you miss a movie. I use it all the time. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

AND if you aren't doing anything today - it is snowing like crazy here - at 1:30 Angels in the Outfield is on. To give you a feeling of spring.

PS - The movie at 11:30AM is Trouble Along the Way. It was mentioned earlier in the week. It stars John Wayne as a football coach and a divorced dad.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just an aside here, but did anyone else reading this thread follow the same path as I in appreciating Doris Day's acting chops?  

When I was very young, the films Miss Day graced were mostly musicals.  I saw them with glee and appreciation.  When she moved into more serious roles, I was a late teen/young adult and did not go to see the films when they premiered.

Later in life, I began to watch Miss Day in films such as today's offering.  I was stunned by her effortless acting.  I've watched her in several dramatic roles, and I must say that Doris Day was multifaceted with her talents.  She was so easy to brush off as a lightweight when I was young, but she actually wasn't.

Late-in-life appreciation of Doris Day.  It's never too late.

ETA:  I have always been charmed by the "earnestness" that is apparent in her vocal delivery.  A certain breathiness and earnestness always seemed to come through in her speech. 

Trusted Contributor

I think sometimes Doris Day is underrated for her scope and versatility as an actress.

She is so wonderfully delightful in the light comedies like Pillow Talk, That Touch of Mink, etc. 

And her beautiful singing voice is showcased in earlier movies such as By the Light of the Silvery Moon.

But in this movie she shows us what a truly talented dramatic actress she can be....gives a riveting, powerful performance! Woman Happy

Thanks as always, @Oznell!!

Honored Contributor

Young at Heart! Love the vibe. Frank Sinatra and Doris Day! Of course! Great Ethel Barrymore. Classics of timeless memories. ❣

Honored Contributor

Sweet_Serenity,

Thank you for reminding me of that movie -- one of my all-time favorites!  I did see that in my youth, and there was something about the neighborhood scenes, the trees, the open windows and breezes blowing through those windows that reminded me, at that time, of my back bedroom in my childhood home.  I had three windows going across, and as was the custom, they were typically open in the sweet period from Spring to Summer.

Whenever I would lie on my bed reading or dreaming, I would think of that movie and of the song "Young at Heart," feeling I was on the movie set itself.  I'd look up and see all these giant trees with the breeze blowing their leaves and feel the gentle winds come into my bedroom.  And I'd think of that song.

Weird, I know.  But I never forgot that feeling whenever I went into my childhood bedroom ever after. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Sweet_Serenity,

Thank you for reminding me of that movie -- one of my all-time favorites!  I did see that in my youth, and there was something about the neighborhood scenes, the trees, the open windows and breezes blowing through those windows that reminded me, at that time, of my back bedroom in my childhood home.  I had three windows going across, and as was the custom, they were typically open in the sweet period from Spring to Summer.

Whenever I would lie on my bed reading or dreaming, I would think of that movie and of the song "Young at Heart," feeling I was on the movie set itself.  I'd look up and see all these giant trees with the breeze blowing their leaves and feel the gentle winds come into my bedroom.  And I'd think of that song.

Weird, I know.  But I never forgot that feeling whenever I went into my childhood bedroom ever after. 

Yes!! My childhood memories same. Ethel Barrymore reminds me of Grandmother! Same face hair body. Beautiful elegant ladies.⚘

Honored Contributor

So glad you're enjoying your new channel, @OKPrincess. I'm sorry your first Garbo film disappointed.  Now that I've seen "Ninochka" again after a number of years, I can see why you would be somewhat underwhelmed.  Funny how you can transform films in your memory!  Although NInochka is good, you really don't get to see full force Garbo's special quality, that unique radiance she had in movies like "Anna Karenina" and "Queen Christina".

You mentioned other channels coming in a package with TCM.  Did you get a chance to check them out yet?  Any good ones? 

Honored Contributor

So true, @golding76, Doris was wonderful and mutlifaceted.  As much as I love her stunning voice, I almost like her acting in dramas more.  In "Midnight Lace",  in "Julie", in "Love Me or Leave Me" and of course, in "The Man Who Knew Too Much",  she is able to tap into a completely convincing darker palette, bringing in a controlled near-hysteria at times that is utterly convincing.

In that she reminds me so much of Jimmy Stewart-- sunny and affable on the surface, but with depths!  Both performers have huge reservoirs of good will with their audience because of their complete authenticity.

Respected Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

Since I'm new to this channel, do they repeat the movies at different times of the day? 

No, they don't. But, if you have ON DEMAND, many of the movies are available  on TCM for a limited time period.