Honored Contributor

"Midnight Lace" Tonight TCM 8:00 Eastern

Oh, boy, another goodie on Turner Classic Movies at 8:00 p.m. Eastern tonite.  This is the sudsy thriller I was touting on another thread,

Doris Day is a newlywed in London, living in a sumptuous penthouse and blissfully happy with her mogul husband Rex Harrison.  But she starts being stalked and threatened by an unseen tormentor, as elusive as the London fog...

Don't miss the title sequence near the beginning, where Doris is running through a thick mist in a park, hounded on every side by an eerily tinny voice piping  "Mrs. Preston, Miss- iz Press-ton".   There is a spooky malice in every long drawn out syllable...

The sets and decor are luxe, lovely gowns and jewels at the sequence at the ballet, the incomparable Myrna Loy plays her concerned aunt, it's great, campy good fun!

Honored Contributor

Re: "Midnight Lace" Tonight TCM 8:00 Eastern

This is a great film!  "Mrs. Preston......"   eeeeek!

By the way  @Oznell  my cable TV does come with a program guide.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I know. I loved this movie. She also made another thriller, Julie. It was good but not glamorous like this one! Surprised that Rex Harrison appeared in this-he kind of made the movie I think.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it. Have it set up to record. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thank You! I haven't seen this great film in a long time. I'm definitely going to watch it. Many of us know Doris Day for her romantic comedies but this film showcases her versatility in more serious roles.

Honored Contributor

Haven't seen this in a long time but as I recall pretty easy to figure out who the villain is.

Honored Contributor

judaline, me too!  That movie "Julie" that she did with Louis Jourdan is suspenseful.  Nicely evoked atmosphere of the California coast too, I thought.

Vivian Florimund, that's a very good point.  As I got older I started to appreciate more the dramatic films she made.   She's a perfect picture of slightly neurotic hysteria in HItchcock's "The Man Who Knew Too Much".   She's one star who's a little like her co-star Jimmy Stewart in that.  Both were primarily known for their sunny, sort of all-American-ness, but each had a more complicated persona that they were able to plumb in their later films, like Stewart in "Vertigo",  for example...

Respected Contributor

Thanks for posting this. I do scan through my cable guide but nice to read some recommending it.
Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite DD movies!!  Will watch!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznellyour reviews are always so much fun. Please don't stop giving them to us