Frequent Contributor

"Maggie" From Chicago Med is Battling Cancer

There is another post about this in the "Maggie" From Chicago Med thread, but I wanted to start a separate thread dedicated to her cancer battle.

’Chicago Med’ Star Marlyne Barrett Reveals She Has Uterine and Ovarian Cancer, Explains How Fans Have Brought Her ‘Courage’

Ready to fight. Marlyne Barrett is speaking out about her health journey after being diagnosed with uterine and ovarian cancer earlier this year.

The Chicago Med star, 44, told People on Tuesday, September 27, that she has quietly been battling cancer after doctors discovered a tumor on her uterus and left ovary in July. She called herself an “extremely private person” but noted that she “felt a responsibility to tell my story.”

Barrett’s diagnosis came three years after her NBC character, charge nurse Maggie Lockwood, battled breast cancer on Chicago Med. The actress explained on Tuesday that filming that 2019 story line helped her with her own fight.

The entire article can be found here:

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/chicago-meds-marlyne-barrett-has-uterine-and-ovarian-...

Honored Contributor

Re: "Maggie" From Chicago Med is Battling Cancer

I just read that on TV Line News and was coming here to post about it if no one else had.  I no longer watch the Chicago shows but used to enjoy all three of them.  

I like her and was very sad to read this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@undertheradar  thank you for starting this thread. I also am very sorry to read this.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Valued Contributor

I was just in the middle of reading the "People" article about her - it says she had to have a hernia repair done in April, afterwards she was feeling off and looked like she was bloated and 9 mons pregnant (she actually has 11 month old twins) and shortness of breath but no other pain.

In the People article there are a few pictures of her embracing her baldness; she says in the article that she shaved off her own hair but openly wept.

Respected Contributor

OMG - I am totally stunned by this.  I commented on an earlier post awhile back how terrific she looked since she lost weight having no idea whatsoever about her having cancer.  My prayers are with her she is such a young woman.  Heartbreaking.

Honored Contributor

I was just going to come on here and post this info. I am so saddened by this, I really like her and her character that she plays. Her real life husband is a pastor, and she said he has been so very supportive. They have 11 month old twins! I will be praying for her!!!!! 

Frequent Contributor

@Tique wrote:

thank you for starting this thread. I also am very sorry to read this.

You're welcome.

Honored Contributor

Given her age, I am wondering if she had hormone treatments in order to become pregnant, and with twins.  I remember on the tv show Little People, Jen, a doctor, took treatments, fruitless, and she developed a serious cancer within a short time.

Respected Contributor

@undertheradar  I noticed that she had dropped some weight since Chicago Med was on last year.  I am sorry to hear that she has been fighting her own battle with cancer.  She is brave to share her story and a warrior for keeping up the fight,  go MAGGIE!!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

OMG - I am totally stunned by this.  I commented on an earlier post awhile back how terrific she looked since she lost weight having no idea whatsoever about her having cancer.  My prayers are with her she is such a young woman.  Heartbreaking.

@lovesallanimals 

I was thinking of your post when I read this.  It just shows how we never know what might be going on in someone's life.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett