Honored Contributor

"MY MAN GODFREY" WILLIAM POWELL, CAROLE LOMBARD WEDNESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "My Man Godfrey".  Carole Lombard, William Powell, Eugene Pallette, Gail Patrick, Alice Brady

One of the best of the luminous "screwball comedies" of the Thirties.  (No wonder, it was written by Morrie Ryskind, Pulitzer-winning screenwriter and playwright).  Received multiple Oscar noms. 

Beautiful, frivolous heiress mistakes man (William Powell, in terrific form) for a down-and-outer, has him hired as her family butler, and then falls in love with him.

My-Man-Godfrey-1936-644x356.jpg

Madcap hijinks are painlessly and successfully combined with some serious social commentary, a mix that seldom works in Hollywood, but does here.  And in addition to the two expert leads, there are other casting pleasures, like portly, beetle-browed, foghorn-voiced Eugene Pallette as Lombard's father.

Powell and Lombard had a wonderful rapport;  wonder if their history as a one-time married couple (to each other) in real life was responsible?  No matter-- it's enough that they play so delightfully on screen, aided by the high-spirited humor of a clever and bubbling script. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "MY MAN GODFREY" WILLIAM POWELL, CAROLE LOMBARD WEDNESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Adore William Powell (a Thin Man devotee) and this is one of his best!  Thanks....recording now.  I'm burning out on politics....will be a wonderful diversion!

Valued Contributor

Re: "MY MAN GODFREY" WILLIAM POWELL, CAROLE LOMBARD WEDNESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@phoenixbrd wrote:

Adore William Powell (a Thin Man devotee) and this is one of his best!  Thanks....recording now.  I'm burning out on politics....will be a wonderful diversion!

---

Me, too!

I love this movie.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

My-Man-Godfrey-1936-644x356.jpg

Gorgeous!

Both of them, but Powell especially!

Honored Contributor

Ditto to the Powell love!  Just a reminder, in case anyone doesn't notice, that this is being alerted a day ahead-- the airing is Wednesday night @ 10:00 p.m. Eastern.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

One of my favorites--- always makes me laugh!

The witty and droll dialogue is over-the-top!

Honored Contributor

I need a good comedy on my DVR and this sounds like it will be the escape I am looking for!  I have heard of this movie but haven't seen it.  I remember reading that Carole Lombard was the love of Clark Gable's life and her tragic death must have been so sad at the time for him.  

Thanks for the recommendation!

Honored Contributor

So true, @spiderw -- a shocking, devastating loss for Gable, and a loss for celluloid comedy since Lombard was such a frothy delight on screen...

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up @Oznell . I've only seen a little bit of this movie before so I set my dvr so I can watch the whole movie. (I don't trust myself to stay awake til midnight, lol). You can't go wrong with Powell and Lombard.

Honored Contributor

I'm going to do the same, @cimeranrose, and make sure I record it --  have had a hectic, run-around day, and don't trust myself not to conk out prematurely (then setting myself up for the whole sleepless 4:00 a.m. routine, but that's another story!)