Honored Contributor

Re: "MY FAIR LADY" AUDREY HEPBURN, REX HARRISON TUESDAY 5:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

One more thought-- Lerner and Loewe were so sophisticated;  such a superior composer/lyricist team.  I'd love to read a biography of how they worked together in their heyday.  I have the same sort of curiosity about the brilliant Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart team, and of course later, when Rodgers partnered with Oscar Hammerstein.  There seems to be more material available, though, on their fabulous collaborations....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

There was also some discussion about Peter O'Toole in the role, too,  Some felt Rex Harrison was too "mature."  I keep trying to picture O'Toole and it's a very different film for me.

Not saying that's bad... but I always liked Harrison as Higgins.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  - thanks for the alert.

I remember seeing My Fair Lady in the movies. I loved it so much that I pestered my mother to buy me the soundtrack album and she did!

Those gowns were beautiful!!

Esteemed Contributor

I do remember all the disappointment when Julie Andrews was not cast as Eliza. Having seen the play several times, I knew that a beautiful singing voice was necessary and Audrey Hepburn was dubbed. That did take away from the film but over time I came to appreciate Audrey Hepburn’s performance. Her waif-like beauty and grace, plus her excellent acting, made me forget about the rest.

Honored Contributor

Well put, @Vivian.  I've come to accept A.H. in the role, for the same reasons...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twinsister wrote:

@Oznell  - thanks for the alert.

I remember seeing My Fair Lady in the movies. I loved it so much that I pestered my mother to buy me the soundtrack album and she did!

Those gowns were beautiful!!

@twinsister 

Reading this thread reminded me that I still have the sound track album. I loved the movie when I first saw it ( big Audrey Hepburn fan back then) and played the heck out of that album. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

Watching now on TCM!  It is a visual feast for the eyes!  Costumes are magnificent, especially the black & white Ascot Scene which was a show stopper on Broadway.  Audrey Hepburn is an exquisitely delicate vision!  Long beautiful, graceful neck, a carriage to die for, eyes that are deep pools and a face so, oh so lovely.  The costumes for her, embrace all of her qualities and encase her in a beautiful, delicate, romantic vision.  Her innate grace makes watching her a delight.  One of my favorite movies.

The irascibility of Rex Harrison is perfect except I don't think he's playing a part!  He had some reputation and it wasn't good!

Valued Contributor

Question for you @Oznell . When Eliza returns to Professor Higgins house at the end of the movie, do you think the audience is supposed to assume that they will get married? I just finished watching the last half of the movie, and my assumption is  that they will get married.

Honored Contributor

@Somertime, what a great description!

@cimeranrose, I'm thinking they would be together too.  It's been so long since I've seen the ending, though.  Was there something ambiguous about it that made you wonder?

You know, I wouldn't have minded if she ended up with Freddy Eynsford-Hill!  That's heresy, ha.  But I have such a weakness for Jeremy Brett....   And he did seem so utterly smitten with Eliza...  Of course, we are meant to see that Professor Higgins "needs" her, and she adores him, so...

Valued Contributor

I agree with you @Oznell , I wouldn't have minded seeing her end up with Freddy either! (He treated her much better than Professor Higgins, ha!) I guess I wondered about them getting together because Professor Higgins seemed to consider himself a confirmed bachelor, but, in my eyes, Eliza tamed him, or maybe put him in his place, lol.