Honored Contributor

"MONA LISA" BOB HOSKINS CATHY TYSON BRIT THRILLER FRIDAY 10:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Bob-Hoskins-%26-Cathy-Tyson-in-Mona-Lisa-Premium-Photograph-and-Poster-1009630__14506.1432431437.1280.1280.jpg

10:15 p.m. Eastern Friday TCM.   "Mona Lisa"   Bob Hoskins, Cathy Tyson, Michael Caine, Robbie Coltrane, Clarke Peters, Kate Hardie, Zoe Nathenson, Sammi Davis

Fab!  Another Eighties' film noir, a brilliant one--   multi-award winning "Mona Lisa",  directed by Neil Jordan

Bob Hoskins is a small-time British ex-con, hired by his former boss (Michael Caine), to chauffeur a svelte call girl around town (Cathy Tyson).  Caine's nefariously hoping Bob will find out something about her customers that he can use...

maxresdefault.jpg

He doesn't figure on the new pair finding something in common, and Bob doesn't figure on falling in love, either, with his beautiful, enigmatic charge, which puts an even more dangerous spin on the whole set-up....

2_Cathy-Tyson.jpg

Hoskins swept all the important acting awards that year (1986), and should have won the Oscar he was nominated for, too.  He's phenomenal, just a natural, explosive, endearing, charismatic talent.  Cathy Tyson is lovely and suitably mysterious, and Michael Caine enriches every film he's in, but this is Hoskin's game.  The haunting musical score, including Nat King Cole's landmark "Mona Lisa", sweetly winds around the sometimes harsh action.

Punchy writing, fascinating glimpses of the English underworld, and the bittersweet, lopsided romance further make this an absolute must-see!

DjiiORuW4AIWWEz.jpg

J2myVyWD48oCQfQa7yHRkDMHwtv9Ob_large.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: "MONA LISA" BOB HOSKINS CATHY TYSON BRIT THRILLER FRIDAY 10:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Thanks @Oznell .  I've never seen this and will try to watch it.  

As an aside, another surprisingly good film is Mona Lisa Smile, starring Julia Roberts (I'm not a big fan of hers but this is good)and Dominic West.  Julia is a woman in the 1950s who is before her time as an independent woman with non traditional ideas, teaching at a private girls school.  It's not on TV much but available on DVD (probably at the library).

Honored Contributor

Re: "MONA LISA" BOB HOSKINS CATHY TYSON BRIT THRILLER FRIDAY 10:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I had recorded this movie the last time it was on and made it to about half way. Just not my cup of tea. Blade Runner is on before Mona Lisa as part of the neo noir series. Haven't seen this one but will either watch or record.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee,  I've tended to "skip over" her films for the same reason, but "Mona Lisa Smile" does sound good-- will watch for it.

@kaydee50,  "Blade Runner" is one I always think I should watch, but never quite bring myself to!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@Pearlee,  I've tended to "skip over" her films for the same reason, but "Mona Lisa Smile" does sound good-- will watch for it.

@kaydee50"Blade Runner" is one I always think I should watch, but never quite bring myself to!

@Oznell 

I'll give you a reason.

Rutger Hauer, Blade Runner Co-Star, dies 2019 at 75 - Obituary

Rutger Hauer.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @just bee ,  you make a good point!  Rutger Hauer, also known as the 'Greatest Dutch Actor of the Century'.

RutgerHauerEscapeFromSobiborPublicDomain1.jpg

He reminds me of one of my faves, soulful Oskar Werner.  Although, he could look strange sometimes, but other times, very appealing, as when he was the sensitive doctor in "Ship of Fools". 

Oskar Werner Ship of Fools.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

Or how 'bout Fahrenheit 451?

A Space Blogyssey: 'Fahrenheit 451' Review

Of course, here he looks a little like Bill Buckley.  Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee  LOL! He does look like Bill Buckley in that photo!

Loved him as a villain in Columbo.

@Oznell  Sorry but I missed the film last night.

Honored Contributor

Ha!  That he does, @just bee !   Forgot he was even in that!

Boy, I miss Buckley.