Honored Contributor

"MILDRED PIERCE" AND "POSSESSED" ! TUESDAY 1:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Mildred-Pierce-H-2021-1610670619-928x523.jpg

1:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Mildred Pierce"  Joan Crawford, Zachary Scott, Ann Blyth, Bruce Bennett, Eve Arden, Jack Carson

Of course we all know and love "Mildred Pierce",  product of writer James M. Cain's ("The Postman Always Rings Twice",  "Double Indemnity") torrid imagination.  Joan scored big in this, and got to act with adorable Zachary Scott to boot.  (I always hate when he plays a heartless cad though-- he had such a sweetness in sympathetic parts).  Joan's swank California beach house is always a big hit with me, as is sardonic, wisecracking Eve Arden as second banana. 

Interestingly, lovely Ann Blyth (wicked little "Veda",  the daughter from hell) maintained that Joan was very nice and supportive to her during filming.

Isn't "Monty Beragon" a good name for a fascinating playboy?

Zachary-Scott-Monte-Beragon.jpg 

But, having seen "M.P." so many times, I'm a bit more stoked about "Possessed" following quickly after it.  Another, lesser-aired but potent film noir vehicle.

3:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Possessed"   Joan Crawford, Van Heflin, Raymond Massey, Geraldine Brooks

CyBjDuxVIAAmTiq.jpg

Private duty nurse Joan has an unshakeable passion for elusive bachelor engineer Van Heflin, who seems to want to love her and leave her.  Will marrying her wealthy, benign, but unexciting employer (Raymond Massey) take her mind off Van?

MV5BYTYzMjNiZjgtNjgwNy00YTFhLThkZDItYzRmNDdmZWY3OTExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg 

This role allows Joan to give full rein to insanely obsessive, self-destructive melodrama which can only end in big trouble. Production values provide a lush backdrop, with classical music and rich art, decor and costuming enhancing all the picturesque angst!   The always interesting Geraldine Brooks portrays Joan's much-resented younger rival.....

possessed16.jpg 

Respected Contributor

Re: "MILDRED PIERCE" AND "POSSESSED" ! TUESDAY 1:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I love both of these movies. I also liked the HBO limited series of "Mildred Pierce"from a while back and recommend it if you haven't seen it, although it's a bit more raw than the classic movie.

Honored Contributor

proxy-image-3.gif

proxy-image-1.gif

proxy-image-2.gif

proxy-image.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Remember when actors were so good they could say a lot,without even opening their mouth Joan Crawford for example.

Honored Contributor

If looks could kill spoiled little tramp, Veda, would be pushing up daisies LOL

Mildred made her that way , so, she just reaped what she sowed.

Honored Contributor

Mildred Pierce, the ever sacrificing mother!  She did it all for her daughter and look what she got in return.  Both Crawford and Blyth were excellent in their roles in this movie.  I have seen these movies and enjoy Crawford as an actress, I do feel sorry for her in Mildred Pierce even though she created the monster!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

MILDRED PIERCE.....so many GREAT scenes and lines. it is in my top twenty movies of all time. i could watch it over and over again. mostly dramatic of course, but who didnt love eve arden as ida? she really had some funny moments within the movie.

i also saw the mini series that they did and it was excellent also and definitely a bit different, and yes, a LOT more raw than what we saw on the big screen.

have never seen POSSESSED so i should probably DVR that.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up on Joans movies. I never miss "Mildred Pierce"when it is on. Jack Carson was so good in that also. Actually Mildred was a pretty good Mother to Veda until she started to hand over her hard earned money to her.

I remember seeing Ann Blyth on an episode of Twilight Zone awhile back. Gosh she is beautiful. I believe she is in her 90's now.

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's great to hear that Ann Blyth is still with us, @catsgalore5354 -- I didn't know that.

Esteemed Contributor

Ann is one of our few remaining links to Hollywood's Golden Age.

I have the special DVD edition of Mildred which includes Ann attending a showing with Q&A.  She verified that Joan was indeed friendly,  helpful and professional.   She also became lifelong friends with Eve.

I remember her from the Hostess cupcakes commercials when I was a kid.