Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Yes, Winamac, how did I forget to mention the actor who played the Young Saroo?  Several times throughout the film I thought how genuine and convincing he was in his acting, so unlike the hammy and predictable tone and delivery of child actors turned out in Hollywood.  Really, they almost all belong on the Lifetime channel (no offense intended because I love many Lifetime movies - yeah!).  But you know what I mean by the delivery of young actors if you think of that channel's productions.

Overlooking the Young Saroo was a BIG but unintended slight on my part.  There was just so much to admire in this movie.  By contrast, I recently viewed Genius.  There was so much promising material in this film that was unrealized.  Really, I was astounded by the sophomoric script and Directing 101-level of movie directing.  Just dismal!

Ms. Kidman, I am sure, wanted to do something with her role as Mrs. Bernstein in the film, but the entire project was poorly done, IMHO.  

@golding76

I agree about the young actor who played Saroo.  He was wonderful and so convincing.  I loved this movie.

I didn't know Nicole Kidman was in "Genius" also.  I have only seen the clips they show as commercials for the film.  I haven't seen the film yet.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Yes, Winamac, how did I forget to mention the actor who played the Young Saroo?  Several times throughout the film I thought how genuine and convincing he was in his acting, so unlike the hammy and predictable tone and delivery of child actors turned out in Hollywood.  Really, they almost all belong on the Lifetime channel (no offense intended because I love many Lifetime movies - yeah!).  But you know what I mean by the delivery of young actors if you think of that channel's productions.

Overlooking the Young Saroo was a BIG but unintended slight on my part.  There was just so much to admire in this movie.  By contrast, I recently viewed Genius.  There was so much promising material in this film that was unrealized.  Really, I was astounded by the sophomoric script and Directing 101-level of movie directing.  Just dismal!

Ms. Kidman, I am sure, wanted to do something with her role as Mrs. Bernstein in the film, but the entire project was poorly done, IMHO.  

ITA--Overlooking the young Saroo was a HUGE mistake.  He was so incredible in that movie.  Nicole Kidman was superb, as always, though her part was fairly small!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

ITA--Overlooking the young Saroo was a HUGE mistake.  He was so incredible in that movie.  Nicole Kidman was superb, as always, though her part was fairly small!

@winamac1

That's one of the things I like about her.  She will take a part because it is integral to the plot, and she doesn't require the "star" status.  She didn't get but was nominated for best actress in a supporting role (for Lion) which was won by Viola Davis.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

@winamac1

That's one of the things I like about her.  She will take a part because it is integral to the plot, and she doesn't require the "star" status.  She didn't get but was nominated for best actress in a supporting role (for Lion) which was won by Viola Davis.

Yes..you have stated a very valid point!  Viola Davis should have won.  She was incredible in Fences.  

Honored Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

@winamac1

Yes..you have stated a very valid point!  Viola Davis should have won.  She was incredible in Fences.  

@winamac1

I haven't seen Fences yet, but I'm sure she deserved the win.  It was a much larger part, I believe. 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

@winamac1

@winamac1

I haven't seen Fences yet, but I'm sure she deserved the win.  It was a much larger part, I believe. 

Oh my gosh, that was such a great movie, and she had such a great performance!

Honored Contributor

Lilac Tree, Nicole Kidman's role is small in Genius but crucial to the story line.  However, she did not get a good script; it was dreadful for all concerned.

Honored Contributor

Winamac, I stand with Nicole Kidman.  Her work is impressive, no matter how small the role, as you write.  

I always was amused that some people thought she was haughty, standoffich or stuck on herself.  I never had that impression of her.  On the contrary, I always figured her to be someone who is pleasant enough upon meeting you but then waits to see how close she will bring you, depending on your depth of being and sensitivities.  She is genuine and is obviously happy in her life with Keith Urban.  I am waaay off topic, but I just wanted to celebrate Ms. Kidman.   It is delightful to watch her in this happiest phase of her life.

I've been a fan for a long time. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Winamac, I stand with Nicole Kidman.  Her work is impressive, no matter how small the role, as you write.  

I always was amused that some people thought she was haughty, standoffich or stuck on herself.  I never had that impression of her.  On the contrary, I always figured her to be someone who is pleasant enough upon meeting you but then waits to see how close she will bring you, depending on your depth of being and sensitivities.  She is genuine and is obviously happy in her life with Keith Urban.  I am waaay off topic, but I just wanted to celebrate Ms. Kidman.   It is delightful to watch her in this happiest phase of her life.

I've been a fan for a long time. 

@golding76

So have I Goldie, and she hasn't had it easy.  She lost two adopted children because of Tom Cruise's affiliation with Scientology.  That was a long hard fight which Nicole lost.  Cruise turned the children against her.  He is such a bad person, I don't know how he continues to be such a big star.

Thankfully, Nicole was able to save her little daughter, Suri.  She also has two daughters with Urban, and they are a happy family.  I like them both so much (Nicole and Keith) and I hope this marriage lasts.  Google is now reporting that Nicole wants to adopt a little Indian boy.  Maybe because of her time in India making the movie "Lion?" (My thoughts only.)

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

I thought the little boy carried the movie.  He was absolutely brilliant in the role.