Honored Contributor

"LURED" LUCILLE BALL, GEORGE SANDERS, CHARLES COBURN THURSDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

Noon Eastern--  "Lured"  Lucille Ball, George Sanders, Charles Coburn, Boris Karloff

Lucy didn't often stray into suspense and film noir, but when she did, like in "Cornered", (this is a mistake-- it was "The Dark Corner" for those interested, not "Cornered") or this one, "Lured",  it was compelling.  Here she's an American chorus girl/dancer-for-hire in London, whose friend answers an ad and disappears.  The "poet" serial killer is suspected, one who has been doing away with attractive young women.

Scotland Yard Inspector (Charles Coburn) persuades Lucy to become a decoy herself in a dangerous cat-and-mouse game.  She turns up clues, and turns the head also of attractive producer and playboy George Sanders, but the killer continues to elude, and then trick, his pursuers.

Lucy's persona of normal, down-to-earth but smart and shrewd all-American young woman, is a wonderful foil for the twisted, seamy subterfuges that she comes up against in her sleuthing deep into the London underworld.

This Douglas Sirk noir has a terrific cast and is off-beat, riveting and atmospheric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_efXtu_BQa8

Honored Contributor

Re: "LURED" LUCILLE BALL, GEORGE SANDERS, CHARLES COBURN THURSDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

@Oznell wrote:

Noon Eastern--  "Lured"  Lucille Ball, George Sanders, Charles Coburn, Boris Karloff

Lucy didn't often stray into suspense and film noir, but when she did, like in "Cornered", or this one, "Lured",  it was compelling.  Here she's an American chorus girl/dancer-for-hire in London, whose friend answers an ad and disappears.  The "poet" serial killer is suspected, one who has been doing away with attractive young women.

Scotland Yard Inspector (Charles Coburn) persuades Lucy to become a decoy herself in a dangerous cat-and-mouse game.  She turns up clues, and turns the head also of attractive producer and playboy George Sanders, but the killer continues to elude, and then trick, his pursuers.

Lucy's persona of normal, down-to-earth but smart and shrewd all-American young woman, is a wonderful foil for the twisted, seamy subterfuges that she comes up against in her sleuthing deep into the London underworld.

This Douglas Sirk noir has a terrific cast and is off-beat, riveting and atmospheric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_efXtu_BQa8

@Oznell  I havn't heard of Lured, but The Dark Corner is played frequently on the Movies channel, one of my favorite movies.

Honored Contributor

Re: "LURED" LUCILLE BALL, GEORGE SANDERS, CHARLES COBURN THURSDAY NOON EASTERN TCM

Oh, my mistake, thanks, @mousiegirl-- that other suspenser of hers was "The Dark Corner", NOT "Cornered" as I asserted.  I always get those mixed up!

I love that one too-- she was a great team with Mark Stevens, and Clifton Webb was so perfect as the supercilious art gallery guy...

If you like that, I think you'd like "Lured" too--  Lucy has her trademark spunk, and is so beautifully costumed and statuesque in this as well...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, my mistake, thanks, @mousiegirl-- that other suspenser of hers was "The Dark Corner", NOT "Cornered" as I asserted.  I always get those mixed up!

I love that one too-- she was a great team with Mark Stevens, and Clifton Webb was so perfect as the supercilious art gallery guy...

If you like that, I think you'd like "Lured" too--  Lucy has her trademark spunk, and is so beautifully costumed and statuesque in this as well...

@Oznell  I don't get the channel on which Lured will be viewed, but if it ever comes to Movies, I will watch it.

Speaking of Clifton Webb, did you ever see Sitting Pretty?  There are several Mr. Belvedere movies, his name in Sitting Pretty, that followed this movie, but just loved him in Sitting Pretty and Laura.

Honored Contributor

What fun that you mention "Sitting Pretty", @mousiegirl.  I LOVE that, and Robert Young and Maureen O'Hara in it too!  Haven't seen that in ages-- it's so amusing!

Honored Contributor

Re: "LURED" LUCILLE BALL, GEORGE SANDERS, CHARLES COBURN THURSDAY NOON EASTERN TCMToday we are getti

OH GOOD!

Today we are getting a snow storm, so I am doing all my errands early. I expect to be home by noon. 

Looks like today is George Sanders day. Guess I will watch a few other movies too.

Honored Contributor

I know, @drizzellla-- hard to imagine a better movie for a  dreary or snow-bound November day.  I like suspense films especially when the weather rages.

Charles Coburn and Lucy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHexNPzhcU

Honored Contributor

Watching this now, it's pretty good.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Watching this now, it's pretty good.

I thought it was quite good too. And look at the cast of characters - Cedric Hardwicke, Alan Mowbray and Boris Karloff, in addition to the cast that Oznell mentioned.