Honored Contributor

"LADY SINGS THE BLUES" DIANA ROSS, BILLY DEE WILLIAMS TUESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

5a7e3ce66a859.image.jpg

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Lady Sings the Blues"   Diana Ross, Billy Dee Williams, Richard Pryor, James Callahan, Paul Hampton, Sid Melton

Bio pic of the legendary Billie Holiday.   Many were skeptical that Diana Ross was the right casting for this crucial role, but the consensus is that she did a creditable job, and brought her own charismatic, mercurial wattage to a part that would be formidable for anyone to play.

Audiences loved the glamour pairing of Ross and the equally magnetic Williams, even knowing that in Billie Holiday's tragic history, there was to be no happy ending.

Now I'm in the mood for the real Lady Day.

static.playbill.com.jpeg

Her rendition of "I'll Be Seeing You" is such a beautiful heartbreaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXRiKEybN0s 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "LADY SINGS THE BLUES" DIANA ROSS, BILLY DEE WILLIAMS TUESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Great movie!  Thanks @Oznell  

Regular Contributor

Re: "LADY SINGS THE BLUES" DIANA ROSS, BILLY DEE WILLIAMS TUESDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

thanks for heads up...and afterwards Mahogany will be on next

Honored Contributor

"Are You Going to Let My Arm Fall Off?"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I love that song -- but not the movie!

Esteemed Contributor

Love that movie!

I thought Diana Ross did an excellent job.  Billy Holiday was something else in her day, I didn't understand the blues until I started listening to her sing.  What a tragic life she had though.

Honored Contributor

My musical taste centers around blues and jazz.  When you want to hear a blues song, there are many singers who fit the bill.  When I first heard Billie Holiday many years ago, I had to have her music and bought a few albums.  I even have a framed picture of her on my wall!  She lived and sang the blues and you feel it in her voice as you listen.

When I read Diana Ross was going to play the role of Holiday in Lady Sings the Blues, I was skeptical, how do you ever sing like Lady Day.  Ross did a decent job in that role but there was only one Billie Holiday.  Her songs are deep in feelings and emotions and she truly sings the blues.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of the best films ever, look for Isabel Sanford as the Madame.  I think Ms Ross was robbed of a worthy Oscar, her competition was Liza Minelli for Cabaret. 

Respected Contributor

Classic!!!

Honored Contributor

love the movie, love diana ross, love diana ross in the movie.......

mahogany is also another favorite of mine.

so difficult to watch the deterioration of holidays life due to drugs and alcohol.

ross did an excellent job in both roles.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein