Honored Contributor

"KING LEAR" PAUL SCOFIELD, IRENE WORTH SATURDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "King Lear"  Paul Scofield, Irene Worth, Cyril Cusack, Jack McGowran

No one does "dysfunctional family" like William Shakespeare!  I'm very curious about this production. The great, great Paul Scofield (so masterful in "A Man for All Seasons") did so relatively few films, each must be hoarded and gloated over like gold.

Foolish, vain Lear, with his three daughters, the opportunistic Goneril and Regan, and then Cordelia-- Cordelia the true and the loving, the only one who will be honest with her father.  She had been his favorite, but her truth-telling gets her spurned.

Shakespeare can be hit or miss on film.  But when it works, like Olivier's or Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V", (take your pick!) or Olivier's "Hamlet" or "Othello",  it's sublime.

This also has theater legend Irene Worth, and the brilliant Cyril Cusack, among others.  The play "Lear"'s reputedly a bit of an emotional workout, but I THINK I'm tough enough on a Saturday night to take it, ha. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "KING LEAR" PAUL SCOFIELD, IRENE WORTH SATURDAY 10:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Boy, his daughter Goneril's face as Lear delivers his diatribe to her.

Then the famous--   "How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child."     This weighted line is worthy of something from the Bible, but it is Shakespeare's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRc49mytN_Y

I didn't realize that Shakespeare set Lear in Britain in the eighth century B.C.   No wonder these royals are in less than sumptuous digs!

I hardly recognize handsome Paul Scofield as Lear.  What magnificent acting.

Another timeless line from this play--  "Nothing comes from nothing."

Astounding the way so many quotes from Shakespeare are embedded in our culture...

Honored Contributor

I remember P Scofield in "Quiz Show". 

Have an article from a newspaper where the writer talks about how Shakespeare talks about the characters and their afflictions which can be compared to modern thigs. Talks about Lear and dementia.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

I watched this last night. Quite difficult to watch. The whole tone and scenery in the movie was depressing. Kudos to the director and producers- it certainly conveyed the darkness and madness of Lear's personality and the duplicity of his daughters.

King Lear is based on a real life Celtic King- Leir, for whom the city of Leicester is supposedly named. Leir ruled in the 8th century BC and eventually lived in France with his daughter Cordelia. The movie made me want to learn more about this period of time in GB!

Honored Contributor

Great "back story" info, thanks @Group 5 minus 1 and @bathina!

Lear, Macbeth, Othello, Richard III--  I'd love to see TCM or some channel do a whole fest of these different filmed treatments, do a 'compare and contrast' of the various versions of these extraordinarily meaty, timeless plays.

Fun to dissect.