Valued Contributor

"Jezebel" with Betty Davis, TCM tonight at 10:00 Eastern

I don't really consider myself a Betty Davis fan, however, she is outstanding in "Jezebel" which TCM is showing tonight at 10 eastern. I don't think anyone else could have played the part as well (well, maybe Barbara Stanwyck - I am a big fan of hers). A young Henry Fonda is in the film also, plus a great supporting cast. 

Other Betty Davis movies I like are, "The Great Lie," and "All This, and Heaven Too."

Valued Contributor

Re: "Jezebel" with Betty Davis, TCM tonight at 10:00 Eastern

Thanks for the reminder, this is one of my favorite movies. I will set it up to record.

Respected Contributor

Thanks!

My fave Bette Davis movie is All About Eve.

Honored Contributor

I think I read somewhere that Jezebel was done because Bette Davis missed out on the Scarlett O'Hara role in GWTW.

My BD favorites:  Now Voyager,The Letter and All About Eve.  A great actress.

Trusted Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I think I read somewhere that Jezebel was done because Bette Davis missed out on the Scarlett O'Hara role in GWTW.

My BD favorites:  Now Voyager,The Letter and All About Eve.  A great actress.

That’s very true. She was being considered very seriously for the role of Scarlett, but when David O Selznick saw Vivien Leigh, he knew she was Scarlett O Hara. 

The only Bette Davis movies I do not care for are her “newer” ones that she made in the 1960s. I really don’t care for “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane” even though it’s considered one of her greatest. I record all them I can find on my DVR. 

Honored Contributor

I will watch.  Thanks.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose

Thanks for the post...set my DVR!

Love Bette Davis .... my faves in addition to Jezebel are Now Voyager, Dark Victory, All About Eve, Old Acquaintance, The Old Maid, A Stolen Life, The Star, The Great Lie, Dangerous, Mr. Skeffington ......could go on and on, lol! Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @cimeranrose.  Probably my favorite of the "Old Hollywood" actresses.  She was so fearless, the way she threw herself into roles, even ones where the writing perhaps wasn't up to her talent...

Like everyone here, I have so many favorites of her movies.  Let's see;

"Dangerous"--  The very young "rebel" Bette Davis sparking against patrician, urbane but soulful Franchot Tone.  Gosh, she was good in this as a reckless actress on the skids and burning the candle at both ends...

"Winter Meeting"--  Totally different part, she's a slightly repressed poet who meets a hunky war hero.  He unexpectedly prefers her to the dishy secretary of her bachelor friend.  Female wish fulfillment at its finest!   Bette is so subtle and delicate in this, yet wracked by sudden attraction.

"The Letter"--  Technically, I wonder if this was possibly her best acting ever, as an expatriate Englishwoman who shoots her lover, and then perpetrates a cover-up that fools even her sweet husband, unsuspecting Herbert Marshall...  She's just perfect, deceptive yet holding on to our sympathy, from start to finish.

So many others too!

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle

Have you ever seen the updated version of A Stolen Life.......Dead Ringer?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@yellowBeetle

Have you ever seen the updated version of A Stolen Life.......Dead Ringer?

@Mz iMac

No that is one I have missed! Will be on the look-out for it....thanks! Woman Happy