Respected Contributor

Re: "Jezebel" with Betty Davis, TCM tonight at 10:00 Eastern

Bette Davis won the oscar as Best Actress for Jezebel.  She deserved it.

Honored Contributor

One of her best! Henry Fonda is also great.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

I just saw a very old ****** Cavett interview with Bette, and she discussed playing Jezabel, after missing out on playing Scarlet. She said for her the role was very close to Scarlet.

Occasional Contributor

One of my favorites too.  My only disappointment with this movie is that I wish they had done it in color; I would love to see her in color in that red dress; would have been a great visual image.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love this one. I guess I stand alone because I've never been much of a Vivian Leigh fan and would love to have seen what Bette could have done with Scarlett. Then again, I'm not so much of a Gone with the Wind fan. The movie just seems endless and I actually think I prefer Jezebel. On the other hand, for whatever reason, the ending just has never provided me with the closure I'd have liked. I read an article that said a poll taken at the time indicated the public overwhelmingly wanted to see Davis in the role of Scarlett, but it wasn't to be. 

This is among my favorite Bette Davis films, along with All About Eve, The Little Foxes, Juarez, and so many others... I also loved the miniseries, the Dark Secret of Harvest Home.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

I agree @stevieb, I like Jezebel better also.

Honored Contributor

Although I am a big BD fan, I don't think she could have surpassed Vivian Leigh in portraying Scarlett.  The scene before the intermission of GWTW, the "God is my witness" always gets me rooting for Scarlett.  I usually agree with stevieB but IMO, GWTW is a great movie, perfectly cast and the music adds to it.

Honored Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

Although I am a big BD fan, I don't think she could have surpassed Vivian Leigh in portraying Scarlett.  The scene before the intermission of GWTW, the "God is my witness" always gets me rooting for Scarlett.  I usually agree with stevieB but IMO, GWTW is a great movie, perfectly cast and the music adds to it.

@kaydee50 I know I'm in the definite minority on this one... 

Woman Wink

I remember my aunt and mom taking me, as a teen, to see the movie and just thinking it was soooooo long. I'd heard for years about how wonderful it was and they certainly seemed mesmerized by it... Who knows, maybe my expectations were too high... It is a good and classic movie and Vivan was wonderful as Scarlett... I just would like to be able to compare the two as Scarlett... I think it might be fun... Agree, I loved the music and still do...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...