Esteemed Contributor

Re: "JEZEBEL" BETTE DAVIS, GEORGE BRENT HENRY FONDA MONDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@lil spot 

While I don't recall it being mentioned, I always got the impression it might have been at least a year or more.

I had to cut my viewing short to fix dinner, but, I got to see her bow down in her white dress.

It's just such a great movie...I had forgotten the house/property was called Halcyon....those dresses!  Her waist must have been 18"!

Honored Contributor

Re: "JEZEBEL" BETTE DAVIS, GEORGE BRENT HENRY FONDA MONDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@lil spot wrote:

I've often wondered, how long was Pres away from Julie when he came back married. Was it months, years, anyone have a guess?

According to emsax27.wordpress.com/2015/10/24/jezebel/

"Pres had gotten married in the year he was away, to a Northerner named Amy (Margaret Lindsay)."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

A little more Jezebel trivia:

Actor Jeffrey Lynn was oringinally cast in Fonda's part, but couldn't get out of a Broadway theater commitment in time.

He also tested for the role of Ashley in GWTW.around this period.8560185580_d5aeae35c6.jpg

Finally, he did costar with Davis in All This and Heaven Too.

Later, he was Jeanne Crain's husband in A Letter to Three Wives.

Honored Contributor

Oh!  I'd like to have seen Jeffrey Lynn as "Pres".   I wonder if that would have changed the trajectory of his career...

Honored Contributor

I had wondered why I did not see Jeffrey Lynn in more movies. I wish I had, 

Esteemed Contributor

I think that because his career was interrupted by service during WWII he lost his momentum.....stage and television work became easier to find.

Valued Contributor

Probably my favorite Bette Davis film. I personally like Barbara Stanwyck better as an actress but I have to say no one could have done as good a job as Bette Davis in "Jezebel." I also liked Bette Davis and George Brent together in the movie "The Great Lie" - Mary Astor was also in that movie and was one of the few actresses who could give as good as she got with Bette Davis.

I actually prefer "Jezebel" to "Gone with the Wind."