Honored Contributor

"JEZEBEL" BETTE DAVIS, GEORGE BRENT HENRY FONDA MONDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

6:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Jezebel"   Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, George Brent, Donald Crisp, Spring Byington

Davis diehards know that much of her best work was done in collaboration with a director she adored, William Wyler.

Bette excels here as a spoiled southern belle who thinks she can tweak her beau and spurn community standards, only to discover how far is too far....

"Jezebel" is full of the terrific Warner Brothers stock company, including my favorite, urbane George Brent.

Remember last week we were extolling the ball room scene in Vincente Minelli's masterful "Madame Bovary"?

"Jezebel"'s scene at the ball, with Davis and Fonda clearing the floor for their lonely, socially-dooming dance, while disapproving attendees look on, is a close second!

I couldn't find that exact scene on youtube, but here's the prelude to it at the ball.  George Brent makes an impression even with the tiniest of nods and smiles in any scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y01Nkp0JplY

Trusted Contributor

Re: "JEZEBEL" BETTE DAVIS, GEORGE BRENT HENRY FONDA MONDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

This is an excellent movie, and what is not to like about George Brent? I find myself watching any movie he is in, no matter how large or small the part. Enjoy this one if any have not seen it! 

Honored Contributor

Re: "JEZEBEL" BETTE DAVIS, GEORGE BRENT HENRY FONDA MONDAY 6:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh, here's the scene. It contains the end of the one I just posted, but then goes into that chilling, sweeping dance, all alone, that they go into:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVsRK8LpOiY

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

Another favorite of mine.  The costuming is fab and the dialogue between characters is so satisfying. 

Her white dress worn at the party when Pres is coming back and the way she bowed down are perfect.   That dress billowing up around her.   And how the skirt flounces along when she is going to the bank to confront him.....

Every second is entertaining.  I realize the depiction of slavery in the South and the plantations is less than ideal, but....I can overlook that. 

They way he forced her to keep dancing....And, yes, George Brent is perfection.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, @Witchy Woman, the instant you said her dress billowing up, I could picture that-- it's perfect and beautifully memorable.

Films that depict slavery and other social ills always call out feelings of repugnance in us, the audience, like you say.  Yet, it is part of the history of the world that such things that we abhor existed (and still exist in some parts of the globe).  My feeling is, it's good to depict that history, even if what we often have gotten onscreen is a flawed, unrealistic, sanitized version....

Honored Contributor

By the way, @Witchy Woman and @TexasMom1, I love being in the George Brent fan club with you two...

Honored Contributor

A BD goodie!  I read where it was her consolation role for not getting Scarlett O'Hara.  A great cast and a great director.

Super Contributor

I love this movie. Bettie Davis is perfect for the part. I think all of the actors were great. I watch it every time it is on. My family roots are very deep in southern soil and I love the dresses. I read a commentary on the movie which said the whole picture was so masterful, that even though it was in black and white, in the ballroom scene she was wearing a red dress and your mind actually saw a red dress. True.

Esteemed Contributor

JEZEBEL was relesed in March 1938 while GONE WITH THE WIND was still in production and the search for Scarlett ongoing.  GWTW was released in December 1939.

In fact, Bette thought that this role would ease her into selection for Scarlett; Warner Brothers offered David Selznick a package deal of Davis and Errol Flynn for GWTW, but Selznick turned it down.  She never actually screen tested for Scarlett; very few actresses actually did.

Honored Contributor

Jezebel is definitely one of my favorite Bette Davis's films/role.  I say one of my favorites when in reality every movie she made is a fav of mine!!!!

I always liked George Brent since my sister and I saw him in The Spiral Staircase when we were young.  We are thriller fans and that movie is a great thriller, complete with an old mansion, thunder and lightening storms, mystery and lots of atmosphere.  Dorothy McGuire and Ethel Barrymore are two other stars in the movie.  To this day my sister and I enjoy that movie although it is rarely shown on TCM or at all.  We have the DVD.  Also among Brent's other roles with Bette, Dark Victory comes to mind as another classic.