Honored Contributor

Looking for a relaxing background alternative to conventional late night TV or movies, I rediscovered "Jazz Vocal Hits".  On Directv, it's channel 850. 

The artists are the best of the best.  In the last half hour or so, they've played Chet Baker, Billy Eckstine, Peggy Lee, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald.

There are so many music alternatives available, it's easy to forget you can just turn on the TV to have instant jazz.  Very tranquillizing before bed!

Gotta go-- Peggy Lee's doing "Black Coffee"!

Honored Contributor

Re: "JAZZ VOCAL HITS" CHANNEL

Whenever I am in the car I have the Jazz station on for relaxation and great music!  I also am a blues fan and the station often has blues in the mix.  There are so many jazz greats, Ella among the many, there is a voice that was so unique, few come near such a singing talent as Ella.

Enjoy the station Oznell,, it is some of the best music past and present !!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Major dittos, @spiderw!

Honored Contributor

And since you mention blues, @spiderw, for those interested in a jazz-blues spectrum on DirecTV:

Channel 850--   "Jazz Vocal Hits"

Channel 851--  "Smooth Jazz"

Channel 854--  "Blues"

Channel 879--  "Latin Jazz"

Every so often, they seem to jumble up the channels for some reason, and you can't find what you're looking for, but these are the latest!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Have you ever heard Chet Baker sing? Oh, my, I don't know what it is, but he has something. First time I heard him sing was on the radio and I stopped what I was doing and they thankfully told me. Chet Baker. For such a good looking guy (be still my heart) his life on the personal note went horribly wrong IMO. He aged to look 30 years older than he was, from the heroin. But he could still play. Uncanny. He died a mysterious death. Did he fall out the window? Was he pushed? Did he jump? We'll never know.

Honored Contributor

Oh, discerning @Judaline, I think everyone who's used to Chet Baker's excellent instrumentals stops DEAD in their tracks when they first hear him sing!   What a one of a kind.

There's something so kind of "hushed" and "cool" about his vocals, (I often picture him singing away under a gigantic glass bell jar, ha), yet they are lush.  You could just listen to him for hours.

Ditto to all you said about the mystery of his life.  Impossible to say what happened in those final seconds.  Drugs are a scourge.

So glad you elaborated on him-- I have to take someone to the dentist this morning, but thinking about Chet Baker's talent and mystique makes me smile!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  That's it- "dead in their tracks". A very ordinary singer with an ordinary voice. And yet, there's something!!!! On youtube is his entire album Chet Baker Sings. I put it in my bookmarks and I can play it as I peruse the internet. Love how the singing is interspersed with the playing. He said he went on heroin (offered by a friend-yeah, some friend) when he was given the title,The Greatest Trumpet Player in America or something close to that, not sure. He said the pressure was too much.

Honored Contributor

Chet, having his tuneful way with "I Fall in Love Too Easily":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrSoHgAAWo

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

Whenever I am in the car I have the Jazz station on for relaxation and great music!  I also am a blues fan and the station often has blues in the mix.  There are so many jazz greats, Ella among the many, there is a voice that was so unique, few come near such a singing talent as Ella.

Enjoy the station Oznell,, it is some of the best music past and present !!!!!!!!

@spiderw

As I've said of these forums many times, Ella is my all time favorite female singer ... the next runner up is far, far behind.

Honored Contributor

So, so true, @SoX and @spiderw--  she's always and eternally in the vanguard.  A singer that even made
"A tisket, a tasket" memorable and swing-worthy--  Ella's the best!