Honored Contributor

Re: "ITALIANAMERICAN" SCORSESE DOCUMENTARY MONDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@twinsister, how cool.  Imagine, they lived on the same street!  The parallels are fascinating, and must have been so much fun to discover-- glad you watched it.  When you see documentaries like that that can mirror one's family's experience so closely, it can have the effect of giving the viewer new insights and feeling of closeness to his/her own ancestors...

I get that feeling when I see/read accounts of the hard life of Welsh coal miners, since my Dad's father was a Welsh coal miner and stone mason who emigrated to the New World in search of a better life.  Loved hearing my Dad's stories and those of others in similar circumstances...

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell So true!  Hearing these stories reminds us of just how hard it was for our ancestors.  Not only to leave their homeland, but how difficult it was when they got to America to start their new life.    I can't imagine what it was like for your ancestors to be coal miners.  I  get claustrophobic just thinking about it.  Our ancestors were a lot stronger than we are!

Honored Contributor

I have seen this documentary a few times and enjoyed it very much.  As other posters, I related to the culture as my dad was Sicilian.  I always liked that Scorsese had his parents in his movies especially the mom's role in one of my fav's Goodfellows.  He had a close knit bond with his family and you can feel the love as you watch the show.  I'm sure the parents were very proud of Scorsese's accomplishments in the film industry. 

I bought Mrs. Scorsese's cook book many years ago.  The documentary is worth while TV.  It gives insight to the Italian culture which everyone will enjoy and appreciate.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely, @twinsister.  When you think of the risks that people in those circumstances took, and the hardships they often faced (and almost took for granted) it's sobering...

@spiderw, how neat that you have Mrs. Scorsese's cookbook!  I also love that, even as a quite young man, Scorsese valued and honored his parents the way he did.  It speaks so well of all of them.

Honored Contributor

oznell,

I missed your alert two days ago!  Thank you, though.  This sounds delicious.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

Catherine

Catherine

Catherine

Catherine Scorsese in Goodfellas (1990).

I'd forgotten this was Mrs. Scorsese.  She was terrific in that movie.

Respected Contributor

Oznell I am Italian American and would love to see it. My mother’s family was was very close. She was one of five sisters. They would gather at our house as she had the youngest children. Always a big pot of sauce on the stove. I loved my Aunts and their husbands. Oh the memories.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@twinsister, how cool.  Imagine, they lived on the same street!  The parallels are fascinating, and must have been so much fun to discover-- glad you watched it.  When you see documentaries like that that can mirror one's family's experience so closely, it can have the effect of giving the viewer new insights and feeling of closeness to his/her own ancestors...

I get that feeling when I see/read accounts of the hard life of Welsh coal miners, since my Dad's father was a Welsh coal miner and stone mason who emigrated to the New World in search of a better life.  Loved hearing my Dad's stories and those of others in similar circumstances...

---

"How Green Was My Valley" is a wonderful movie (based on the 1939 novel of the same name by Richard Llewellyn) about Welsh coal miners.

I would bet you have seen it and felt a connection.

Honored Contributor

You'd be right, perceptive @Highlands72!  It's very poignant.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  So are you Welsh? That would be cool in itself!!