Honored Contributor

"IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE" DON DEFORE, VICTOR MOORE, ANN HARDING SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--   "It Happened on Fifth Avenue"  Victor Moore, Charles Ruggles, Don DeFore, Gale Storm, Ann Harding

Hey, is this Don DeFore Day?  (Such a cutie.)  Another of the charming, heartwarming Christmas movies we've been racking up this season!   This one has both comedy and pathos, with homeless men rather innocently moving into a swank New York address while the wealthy owners winter elsewhere.  Little do the temporary residents know who lives among them...

This is partly so appealing b/c of the seasoned performers with which it is graced, including my vaudeville heartthrob, delightful oldie-and-goodie Victor Moore.  The plot is a wee bit needlessly complicated, methinks, but it's so easy to get swept up in the romance and general goodwill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yP1xD1wZpc

Honored Contributor

Re: "IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE" DON DEFORE, VICTOR MOORE, ANN HARDING SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. E

@Oznell: One if our favorite movies and we watched it last night. Southern Bee 

Valued Contributor

Re: "IT HAPPENED ON FIFTH AVENUE" DON DEFORE, VICTOR MOORE, ANN HARDING SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. E

@Oznell wrote:

8:00 p.m. Eastern--   "It Happened on Fifth Avenue"  Victor Moore, Charles Ruggles, Don DeFore, Gale Storm, Ann Harding

Hey, is this Don DeFore Day?  (Such a cutie.)  Another of the charming, heartwarming Christmas movies we've been racking up this season!   This one has both comedy and pathos, with homeless men rather innocently moving into a swank New York address while the wealthy owners winter elsewhere.  Little do the temporary residents know who lives among them...

This is partly so appealing b/c of the seasoned performers with which it is graced, including my vaudeville heartthrob, delightful oldie-and-goodie Victor Moore.  The plot is a wee bit needlessly complicated, methinks, but it's so easy to get swept up in the romance and general goodwill.

--

I always enjoy a Don DeFore movie, and this is a good one for every Christmas season.

Speaking of Ann Harding, I noticed this movie with Ann Harding from the same year (1947) listed on the upcoming schedule of the Movies! channel-- December 22 at 8am Eastern. This is one old Christmas movie that I had never heard of, so I intend to record.

Christmas Eve 1947

Super Contributor

Thanks for the reminder @Oznell  

I have been binge watching the Kirk Douglas films all day. There is a lip-sync delay on my TV with all the films. I wonder if it's my TV. Has anyone else had this issue today?

Honored Contributor

@lil spot, I just checked TCM, and I don't think I'm seeing a delay-- I started to think for a minute maybe the syncronization was "off", but now it doesn't seem that way to me.

How annoying that you're getting that!  Hope it clears up soon.  I hate that-- always reminds me of bad dubbing in European films, ha...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That movie "Christmas Eve" looks good, @Highlands72.  Interesting cast too.  I like George Raft.

Super Contributor

@Oznell  thank you for checking your station. For me, it's only off sync on TCM. Dang. I'm hoping it will fix itself before "It happened on Fifth Avenue". I adore that film and all the actors.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  It Happened on 5th Ave' is my absolute fave Christmas movie! I watch it no less than 5 times during each holiday season. I have been known to keep replaying it while I'm doing housework...LOL

We have the DVD  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

WooHoo....my lip-sync problem has corrected itself. Just in time for DVRing tonights showing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell and others who love 'It Happened on 5th Ave'...

Just some tidbits of info for those who don't know...

Gale Storm isn't really singing. She is lip-syncing to another singer. The director of the movie preferred the other singer's voice for the movie. I was shocked when I 1st learned of that...

And the 'King's Men' who sing the opening song in the movie are pretty impossible to get any info about online...phooey!

I love their harmony/voices Smiley Happy