Honored Contributor

"INSIDE DAISY CLOVER" NATALIE WOOD, ROBERT REDFORD MONDAY 3:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

3:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Inside Daisy Clover"  Natalie Wood, Robert Redford, Christopher Plummer, Ruth Gordon

Monday's chock full of other, higher-profile Oscar-nominated goodies, but I'd like to highlight one of Natalie Wood's most interesting, if flawed, films.

Although made in the mid-Sixties, "Daisy" follows the rags- to-riches-and-stardom story of a Great Depression teenager (Natalie, although she was actually 27 during the shoot.)

We see the crummy beachside poverty, the weird, dysfunctional mother (Ruth Gordon);  but also the raw talent and more importantly, the drive and the radiance of feisty young Daisy.

Predictably, even in the Thirties, Hollywood is ready to chew her up and spit her out (courtesy of studio bigwig Christopher Plummer, among others).  Even her attempts at romance, with an ambiguous but witty and elusively attractive fellow performer, Robert Redford, take an unexpected bend...

Wood and Redford are an absolute dream together, by the way, turning in off-beat, non-cliched performances that make you wish they had worked together more often.  The film itself is sudsy and melodramatic, but their performances have a quirky truth.

Oscar nomination for Best Actress (in musical or comedy)

for Natalie;  nominations for Best Supporting Actress for Ruth Gordon; Best Art Direction; Best Costumes (well of course-- Edith Head was one of the designers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulWuA255ZLc

Honored Contributor

Re: "INSIDE DAISY CLOVER" NATALIE WOOD, ROBERT REDFORD MONDAY 3:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I had to buy that one!! I really liked that movie.

Super Contributor

Re: "INSIDE DAISY CLOVER" NATALIE WOOD, ROBERT REDFORD MONDAY 3:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

"This Property is Condemned" paired Natalie Wood and Robert Redford as well.  Haven't seen it in years, but remember it well!

Esteemed Contributor

I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie today,  I've never seen it and love Natalie wood!  Thanks @Oznell for posting about it,   love to read your insights as well😺

Honored Contributor

I saw Inside Daisy Clover not long after it came out as a movie.  I enjoyed it and thought Natalie did a great acting job as a rags to riches characters.  I loved her in one of my favorites, Rebel Without a Cause.  It is tragic how her life ended but during her time, she was a noteworthy actress and a beauty too.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, good, @Kitty Galore.  I think anyone who appreciates Natalie will love her in this role.  There's something about her-- she could be funny, sad, spunky... and there's that endearing vulnerability that comes through....