Honored Contributor

"INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE" JENNIFER JONES MONTGOMERY CLIFT THURSDAY 11:15 a.m. TCM

11:15 a.m. Eastern--  "Indiscretion of an American Wife" Montgomery Clift, Jennifer Jones

Also known in a differently edited form as "Terminal Station", this film traces the end of the affair between a foolhardy American (Jennifer Jones) and the young Italian man she unexpectedly fell in love with (Montgomery Clift). Deftly staged by Italian director Vittorio de Sica, much of the action takes place in Rome's clangorous, huge central train station.

It's sort of an ecstatic torture for Jones and Clift as they meet and pull away, and meet again.  This arc of infidelity follows a predictable downward path.  But it's a sadly scenic journey here-- it's hard to say who of the lovers is more beautifully photogenic, as they deal with the results of their impetuous folly.

A sensitive, unusual film, utterly compelling, with the dissonance of the colorful Roman train station backdrop.  And if Jennifer Jones must suffer, at least she is suffering in Christian Dior couture...

Another quirky aspect to the film--  dialogue was written by Truman Capote. 

Honored Contributor

Re: "INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE" JENNIFER JONES MONTGOMERY CLIFT THURSDAY 11:15 a.m

Honored Contributor

Re: "INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE" JENNIFER JONES MONTGOMERY CLIFT THURSDAY 11:15 a.m

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  How can this film fail....Vittorio de Sica and Truman Capote.  

LOL....if Jennifer Jones must suffer, at least she is suffering in Christian Dior couture...

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of my favorite Monty Clift films---although I like "Terminal Station" more than this version--still, Monty Clift is flawless--from his acting to his perfect face. Oh my goodness, so handsome!!

I read that Jennifer Jones fell in love with Monty Clift during the filming of this movie (she was married)---she then had a hysterical fit when she was informed that Monty was gay. Of course, I cannot say if any of this was true--but I did read it in a couple of Clift's biographies.

I will definitely be watching tomorrow--even though I own both DVD's--I still like to see ANY Monty Clift film when it is shown on TV (and yes, I am a huge and forever fan!!).

Respected Contributor

I LOVE this movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could have sworn I've seem this movie but w/Lana Turner as the female lead.  Cliff was a gigolo.

BRB.....let me research this.

EDIT:  Could not find the movie.  I guess it was Jennifer Jones.  I don't remember the female lead having dark hair.

EDIT #2:  Found it!  The movie was called "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (1961)" & starred Vivien Leigh and Warren Beatty.  Remake of Indiscretion Of An American Wife-1953. confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I love our passionate film fanatics!  I read the same thing about Jennifer Jones' crush on Monty Clift, @Gracies Mom.  Can't help but feel sorry for J. Jones, she seems to have been troubled, romantically and otherwise. An ethereal beauty.  But also felt sad for her spurned husband before David Selznick, the very talented Robert Walker....

@Mz iMac--- boy, "The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone"--  haven't seen that in a while.  That had such a spectacularly lurid quality, didn't it?  Of course in that one, Warren Beatty was a scheming gigolo (which he played rather well, ha, except for his pseudo Italian accent), in contrast to Monty Clift's pleading, earnest lover in this one.  Both films a good watch...

Esteemed Contributor

oznell you are so nice to put here some good movies but my memory has gone and I don't know the channel number for tcm and the tv  doesn't say. Darn it!  maybe some one will give me a hint. I am in so cal.

Honored Contributor

I think Montgomery was a handsome and talented actor.  I believe he and Elizabeth Taylor were close friends, may have been stronger feelings also .  Loved Clift in the great movie, from here to eternity, so appealing.

Jennifer Jones always stood out as a movie star to me . I love her in song of Bernadette,, farewell to arms, tender is the night and with my favorite Bill Holden in Love is a many splendored thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I went up and down my guide on the remote and found it--230--8am  Thanks for the movie tips.  1953 I was about 15.