Honored Contributor

"IN A LONELY PLACE" HUMPHREY BOGART GLORIA GRAHAME SATURDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

EB20090813REVIEWS08908139995AR.jpg

2:00 p.m. Eastern--   "In a Lonely Place"    Humphrey Bogart, Gloria Grahame, Frank Lovejoy, Jeff Donnell, Carl Benton Reid, Art Smith, Martha Stewart, Robert Warwick, Morris Ankrum, William Ching, Steven Geray, Hadda Brooks

Classic Nicholas Ray-directed film noir,  superb example of "California beach noir".   Bogey is a successful screenwriter, a little bit on the skids now, who gets accidentally swept up into a murder investigation.  In the course of it, he meets his newly moved-in apartment complex neighbor (Gloria Grahame),  and falls hard for her.

Almost everyone loves the moody, darkening atmosphere of this one, with wonderful art direction, sets, clothes, cars-- the whole southern California ambiance!   Not to mention a poignant, literate script.

In addition to Bogey and Grahame,  I always enjoy so many little nuggets in this, like character actress Jeff Donnell.  She so on point as the wife of Bogey's police detective friend (Frank Lovejoy)  --  she's down to earth, intuitive, and skeptical of Bogey's sudden reappearance in her husband's life.

99172fd717363dc387eb62b3374a27aa.png

Hauntingly memorable Saturday matinee material!

cf552e41a6e43ce528d1653ecf12360e.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: "IN A LONELY PLACE" HUMPHREY BOGART GLORIA GRAHAME SATURDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Oh-- almost forgot:

"I was born when she kissed me.  I died when she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

MV5BOTgxZTBiODgtMzYxMy00M2QzLWI3OWYtMzEyMWQ4MTJlMTUyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "IN A LONELY PLACE" HUMPHREY BOGART GLORIA GRAHAME SATURDAY 2:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Can never turn away from a movie with Bogey in it...LOL

Honored Contributor

Watched a few minutes of it. Didn't care for it.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

And in this, @Nataliesgramma ,  his performance is so interesting, with its unsettling hints of neurosis.  The superb writing and that unforgettable score served him well too.  No wonder this film is TCM's noir expert Eddie Muller's all-time favorite...

Trusted Contributor

I watched this movie again,still enjoy every moment!