Honored Contributor

"IMITATION OF LIFE" LANA TURNER, JUANITA MOORE SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Imitation of Life" (1959 version) Lana Turner, Juanita Moore, John Gavin, Susan Kohner, Sandra Dee, Robert Alda, Troy Donohue

Splashy, socially significant Douglas Sirk-directed and Ross Hunter-produced melodrama about two struggling mothers and their daughters.  Lana Turner eventually becomes a theatrical star, and Juanita Moore evolves from her housekeeper to live-in confidante and friend.

The daughters, played as adults by Susan Kohner and Sandra Dee, wrestle with their own concerns about their place in the world.  Susan Kohner takes after her lighter-skinned father, and is able to pass for white;  she has never accepted her ethnicity, and misguidedly spurns her devoted mother's efforts to help her.  Sandra Dee is in the shadow of a prominent parent, and compounds her problems by becoming infatuated with Lana's handsome suitor (John Gavin.)

There's a real attempt here, within the context of the times, to come to grip with issues of race and identity.  The Juanita Moore/Susan Kohner mother-daughter struggle is heart-rending and very effectively played.  Both actresses were nominated for Oscars.  Although Kohner's background was eclectic-- her mother was Mexican and her father a European Jew-- she gives a creditable performance as a confused and anguished young black woman.

Less loftily, Lana's climb to the top and romantic dilemma give her the opportunity to do some soul-searching herself, clad always in eye-popping costumes and jewels, for the audience's pleasure.

A must-see film.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: "IMITATION OF LIFE" LANA TURNER, JUANITA MOORE SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell 

I sob every time I see this movie.

Juanita Moore is excellent and gives a heart wrenching performance.

Love Lana in anything. A sad tale for sure.

But one worth seeing.  I won't catch it this time, but it is a favorite of mine. 

Seems like I'm always saying that!

Respected Contributor

Today is a banner day on TCM!  Born Yesterday, Back Street with Susan Hayward & John Gavin, The Yellow Rolls Royce (not a favorite) and Steel Magnolias!

Imitation of Life and Back Street are both Ross Hunter Productions, lush photography, gorgeous clothes and Lana Turner and Susan Hayworth!

Respected Contributor

Love this movie!  You left out one of my favorite actors....Dan O’Herlihy.  It wasn’t one of his better roles....but I never pass up a chance to see one of his movies.  I sent him a “fan” letter back in the 80s.....he sent back a three page hand-written letter!  

Enjoy the movie...it is so good!

Regular Contributor

I always cry with this movie, too.  A must-see for sure.

GET RICH...........Count Your Blessings!
Honored Contributor

I have to admit this movie in my humble opinion was good, not excellent but good.  Yes, I did cry when I first saw it, how could you not.  However, even though it touched me in many ways I didn't have the urge to see it again and since I may have seen it once more.  For all those who love this movie, and I know you are in the majority, enjoy!!!!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  It’s one of my favorites, and I weep too! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Somertime 

We were just talking about Back Street!

Will have to check the schedule.  

Thanks for mentioning it.

Honored Contributor

They have not shown Back Street in a while, Imitation of Life is shown way too often. BTW, both of these were novels written by same author, Fannie Hurst. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite movies I think I know the script by heart after all these years.

The story, acting, actors are all superb and John Gavin is a nice piece of eye candy!

Watched the Wizard of Oz with Judy Garland for the thousandth time the other day, another script I pretty much know by heart.