Honored Contributor

"I WANT TO LIVE!" SUSAN HAYWARD, THEODORE BIKEL THURSDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

3:15 p.m. Eastern--  "I Want to Live!"  Susan Hayward, Simon Oakland, Theodore Bikel

Late-in-the-game (1958) film noir about accused murderer and prostitute Barbara Graham (Hayward).   Deftly directed by Robert Wise, and gifted with a riveting performance by Susan Hayward as the reckless, driven, sad, enigmatic Graham.  I can never take my eyes off Susan Hayward, whatever role she's playing-- she's that talented, and that much a force of nature.

She earned her Best Actress Oscar here, and the film garnered other wins and nominations, including Best Cinematography.  There's a wonderful jazz score too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_iQdDy3tr0

Respected Contributor

Re: "I WANT TO LIVE!" SUSAN HAYWARD, THEODORE BIKEL THURSDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Susan Hayward made some great movies ... a great actress for sure .....

Honored Contributor

Re: "I WANT TO LIVE!" SUSAN HAYWARD, THEODORE BIKEL THURSDAY 3:15 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I have seen this movie several times and always enjoy  the superb performance by Susan Hayward.  I also love her in I'll Cry Tomorrow and With A Song in My Heart, two biographies with great Hayward performances.

My mother was a fan of Susan Hayward and I Want To Live one of her favorite movies.  Through her I too appreciated Hayward's acting skills, another true movie star!

Honored Contributor

Loved SH in Back Street (3rd version/remake) & Valley Of The Dolls.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I JUST now set it to record and then came on here and saw this. How ‘bout that. There was a remake of this movie with Lindsay Wagner. I remember this made such an impact on me. 

Honored Contributor

Riveting movie, Susan Hayward is exceptional

She was always one of my favorites

Contributor

I watch this movie everytime its on TCM and have spent a lot (probably too much) time wondering and researching the real Barbara Graham.  I have read many, many articles about her and sadly have come to the conclusion that I believe she did indeed murder Mrs. Monahan.  

Honored Contributor

I'm fascinated to hear that from someone who has really looked into it, @globegrl.   It doesn't suprise me, given that Hollywood's version often departs radically from reality...

You make me want to research it too!

Contributor

The movie definitely tried to paint Barbara in a good light and perhaps the producer thought her innocent.  But if you research online you will see there are many things that point to her guilt.  I first saw this movie when I was a teenager and I desperately wanted to believe she was innocent.  

Another great movie that is occasionally on TCM, but I believe you can also find on Youtube is The Honeymoon Killers.  That film is based on a true story and will chill your bones!  I love the true murder movies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Teddie wrote:

I JUST now set it to record and then came on here and saw this. How ‘bout that. There was a remake of this movie with Lindsay Wagner. I remember this made such an impact on me. 

@Teddie  So did I and noticed I had (2) recordings of this movie.  Then, I noticed that I had recorded it on 2/23/18.  That was on a Saturday, so I knew I wasn't recording the same movie twice today.  LOL  I never watched it last year, so maybe I will this year.