Honored Contributor

"I WANT TO LIVE!" SUSAN HAYWARD, SIMON OAKLAND SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

51oby7YGMuL.jpg

I didn't know there was a jazz album of the score with Gerry Mulligan, neat!

8:00 p.m. Eastern --  "I Want to Live"  Susan Hayward, Theodore Bikel, Simon Oakland, Virginia Vincent, Wesley Lau

The incomparable Susan Hayward as Barbara Graham, fighting not to be executed.  Intense, often listed as a favorite among diehard Hayward fans.

There's no one like Hayward.

Respected Contributor

Re: "I WANT TO LIVE!" SUSAN HAYWARD, SIMON OAKLAND SUNDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I am a big Susan Hayward fan, and LOVE this movie.  I saw it again about a year ago. 

I think there is still some speculation as to whether Barbara Graham was with the "gang" that night.  But if she wasn't, I wonder why the guys didn't speak up to save her life.

Anyway, great movie.

Trusted Contributor

"I Want To Live" is a good movie and Susan Hayward is great as Barbara Graham. However if you read the story of the real life Barbara Graham, there were a lot of inaccuracies in this fictionalized account of her life. One thing that puzzled me about this film, no matter how many times I watch it, they never really give too much detail about the crime that led to the murder that she was executed for. It seems to mostly be a crusading anti-death penalty film. I'll watch it again though.

Trusted Contributor

@DottieBlue 

Read her biography. She was with them that night. She was not the bad girl with a heart of gold like she is portrayed in the movie. The real life Barbara Graham was rotten through and through.

Respected Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@DottieBlue 

Read her biography. She was with them that night. She was not the bad girl with a heart of gold like she is portrayed in the movie. The real life Barbara Graham was rotten through and through.

Thanks for the info.  Her bio would be very interesting to read.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  I've been wanting to see this one.  It's on at 5pm here so that works out even better.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Love Susan Haywood and the movie. Thanks 😊 

Honored Contributor

This is one of Susan Hayward's best of course and always reminds me of my mother who loved this movie and Susan as an actress.  I agree.  Whatever the real story, the movie is excellent and Hayward  excels in her role as Graham.

I also didn't know Mullligan did a sound track of this movie. Thanks for that interesting fact, Oznell, love Mulligan.

Trusted Contributor

I looked it up to verify but I remember a 1983 version I saw with Lindsay Wagner. That always stuck with me because the execution scene disturbed me. I realize by today’s standards it wasn’t much but to me it was. 

Honored Contributor

Good movie.