Respected Contributor

I binged watched this last night and what I have read over the years about Hollywood in those days, this was pretty accurate.  There were so many gays and bi-sexual people that had to keep it a secret as it was actually a crime to be gay.  It would have ruined many careers (like Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, The actor who played Dr. Kildare -forgot his name) who played leading men.  Also, many women were bi.  The abuse and cruelty was horrendous, it makes Harvey Weinstein look like a saint compared to what went on on those casting couches.  The acting was really good except the actor who played Rock Hudson.  I could not believe that was Rob Reiner as I watch the old All in The Family shows on cable.  So to see him so young one day and then seeing him here so much older, was wierd.  

Esteemed Contributor

I was pleasantly surprised to see some old faces that I have not seen in a while.

I agree about the actor that portrayed Rock Hudson...now that was a total bust in acting and looks.  I can't believe they couldn't find someone better to portray.  Everytime that actor came on screen I shook my head no, no and no.

Respected Contributor

so far I've watched 3 episodes and think everything they showed  so far could have been condensed down to 1 episode.

It is not a show I could recommend to anyone I know.   to me it has been way over hyped.

Respected Contributor

The actor who plays Rock Hudson is "wooden."  When Rock Hudson went to Hollywood, it is said he was a terrible actor.  His style was described as wooden. It was years before he was considered good at his craft.

If you do some research I think you will find what is portrayed is quite accurate.  He had just one "arranged" marriage.

Respected Contributor

lulu1:  Wow, I did not know that.  Very interesting.  I thought Rock Hudson was a good actor, not great, but good.  Never would have imagined he actually was so wooden at the beginning and not very bright.   In the movie he comes across as so dumb.  So I guess the actor portraying him was being true to his character after all.

Trusted Contributor

I finished watching this in about 2 days. I really enjoyed it.

Dylan McDermott stole the show!!!!

Patti Lupone and Holland Taylor were excellent. Rob Reiner!!!

Honored Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

I binged watched this last night and what I have read over the years about Hollywood in those days, this was pretty accurate.  There were so many gays and bi-sexual people that had to keep it a secret as it was actually a crime to be gay.  It would have ruined many careers (like Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, The actor who played Dr. Kildare -forgot his name) who played leading men.  Also, many women were bi.  The abuse and cruelty was horrendous, it makes Harvey Weinstein look like a saint compared to what went on on those casting couches.  The acting was really good except the actor who played Rock Hudson.  I could not believe that was Rob Reiner as I watch the old All in The Family shows on cable.  So to see him so young one day and then seeing him here so much older, was wierd.  

Richard Chamberlin lain?

Respected Contributor

jackthebear:  Yes!  Thank you.  Richard Chamberlain who only came out a few years ago.  From what I read he has a loving partner for many years and lives in Hawaii.  

Honored Contributor

Re: "Hollywood" on Netflix

[ Edited ]

I didnt recognize McDermott it was only his voice I knew so well from The Practice. He did a great job as Ernie, the gas station owner. 

Honored Contributor

I loved every moment of it, well done, another Ryan Murphy masterpiece!!