Honored Contributor

"HUMORESQUE" JOAN CRAWFORD JOHN GARFIELD TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Humoresque".  John Garfield, Joan Crawford, Oscar Levant

v1.bjs3MzgwMzQ7ajsxODI3ODsxMjAwOzI1NTk7MzE5Ng.jpeg

Crawford smolders as the married socialite who spars with, and then falls in love with, intense classical violinist John Garfield.  Sudsy and atmospheric.  Love Oscar Levant as Garfield's wisecracking pianist friend;  love Garfield's "Forties' Modern" apartment when he starts to hit big.

This is part of a mini Oscar Levant fest in prime time.  The real life concert pianist made a splash as an actor in several films-- his brilliance, sardonic quips and famous neuroses made him a curious and interesting figure in Hollywood.

Some typical Levantisms, via Wiki:

When asked by Jack Paar what he does for exercise, he replied, "I stumble, then fall into a coma."

"Leonard Bernstein is revealing musical secrets that have been common knowledge for centuries."

Asked by Jack Paar to describe his reaction to Milton Berle converting from Judaism to become a Christian Scientist- "Our loss is their loss."

Respected Contributor

Re: "HUMORESQUE" JOAN CRAWFORD JOHN GARFIELD TUESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Loved Oscar Levant!  He was a brilliant pianist, brilliant storyteller and his acerbic quotes were a delight to hear.  He was a marvelous guest on Jack Parr's show.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was excited to see tonight was Oscar Levant night. The man was talented and truly like no other person in the movies. I will be watching all night until Romance on the High Seas ends. 

Honored Contributor

oznell,

My memory is not precise on this, but I believe I first viewed Humoresque when I was about 15 years old.  The yearning girl in me responded electrically to the torn-artist persona of John Garfield in this film.

And that ending!  Drama queens, no one tops this ending.

Perhaps I've seen the movie a minimum of 20 times since my tender years.  Love it!

As for Oscar Levant, he never failed to spice up any movie with his acerbic one-liners.  That guy could sting but was funny as all get out.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the heads-up, @Oznell.  I always thought Crawford/Garfield an odd pairing, but it sure works in this movie.

Gosh, Levant really nailed Bernstein! 

Honored Contributor

Great point about that histrionic ending, @golding76!   Few others with that kind of punch.  Maybe Judy G. and James Mason's "A Star is Born" comes close?

Honored Contributor

Somehow I missed noticing this before, but look, Oscar Levant fans, right after "Humoresque":

10:15 p.m. Eastern--  'Interview with Oscar Levant', 1958

TCM doesn't see fit to give any information on this, unlike their other offerings, but it's bound to be good, if he's the usual unharnessed Oscar in the interview!

Honored Contributor

This Levant interview has got to be great, oznell.  Thank you, dear lady, for the alert. 

I've often wondered just how intellectually gifted this guy was.  My goodness, he mastered several disciplines -- and was exceptionally talented in each.  I've known a few of this type, and they can be bedeviled.  Such extreme intelligence can be a double-edged sword.  I wonder if there is a primary biography of his life. 

Honored Contributor

Good question, @golding76..  I've only read short accounts, but there must be something more comprehensive.

Oddly enough, of all people Candice Bergen wrote a piece on him that I read ages ago, if memory serves.  At one time I think she went around as a "photo journalist" and I think was highly amused by him...

Honored Contributor

Serendipitously I found a bonus by looking at tonight's lineup to record the Levant interview.

The I Don't Care Girl will be aired, and I saw it when it first hit the movie "theeaters" in the last century.  I never forgot it.  No, I don't remember the plot but I always remembered Mitzi Gaynor was in it and the song, "I don't care, I don't care..."

This will be my first time seeing it since I was in elementary school.