Honored Contributor

"HUD" PAUL NEWMAN, PATRICIA NEAL WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Hud"  Paul Newman, Patricial Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon de Wilde

Perhaps a definitive Paul Newman film for many of his fans.  Director Martin Ritt cleverly captures the modern West in this story of magnetic, womanizing, rapscallion rancher Paul Newman.  In conflict with his father (Melvyn Douglas), and attracted to and toying with the ranch's appealing housekeeper (Patricia Neal), who is correctly wary of him.

This is known for the romantic sizzle between the principles.  Patricia Neal's knowing, womanly-wise performance won her an Oscar, and veteran Melvyn Douglas won the Oscar as well.  Has Brandon de Wilde in his patented role as sensitive, hero-worshipping youth...

Poignant, often sad, but well-done and highly memorable film.

Honored Contributor

Re: "HUD" PAUL NEWMAN, PATRICIA NEAL WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Love this movie!  IMO one of PN's best.  And the rest of the cast especially Neal and Douglas are super.  Love the last scene.  

Esteemed Contributor

A classic. 

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @kaydee50 and @godi  -- absolutely top flight Newman film, with sterling supporting performances ...

Honored Contributor

It has been so many years since I watched this movie. Will check it out tonight. I liked Melvyn Douglas ever since I saw him in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. His role was the calm in the Blandings storm. I think he played it so well.

Glad he won an Oscar.

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

It has been so many years since I watched this movie. Will check it out tonight. I liked Melvyn Douglas ever since I saw him in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House. His role was the calm in the Blandings storm. I think he played it so well.

Glad he won an Oscar.

---

Yes, it will be nice to watch this movie again after several years.

I wholeheartedly share your opinion when it comes to Melvyn Douglas.

Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Love this movie!  IMO one of PN's best.  And the rest of the cast especially Neal and Douglas are super.  Love the last scene.  

---

That holds true for both of the "PNs."

Patricia Neal had a such a unique voice.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

8:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Hud"  Paul Newman, Patricial Neal, Melvyn Douglas, Brandon de Wilde

Perhaps a definitive Paul Newman film for many of his fans.  Director Martin Ritt cleverly captures the modern West in this story of magnetic, womanizing, rapscallion rancher Paul Newman.  In conflict with his father (Melvyn Douglas), and attracted to and toying with the ranch's appealing housekeeper (Patricia Neal), who is correctly wary of him.

This is known for the romantic sizzle between the principles.  Patricia Neal's knowing, womanly-wise performance won her an Oscar, and veteran Melvyn Douglas won the Oscar as well.  Has Brandon de Wilde in his patented role as sensitive, hero-worshipping youth...

Poignant, often sad, but well-done and highly memorable film.

Just finished dinner -on 'our' way downstairs to enjoy ONE great movie... love Melvyn Douglas and always have adored Patricia Neal.

He's definitely an actor among actors to have me HISS the character. Yes, hiss! 

That accent is authentic-

absolutely pure Appalachian, doctored up some. 

@Oznell                     Later.

Back soon....  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hubbo always said Newman had been on the ranch too long to find Neal

attractive.

201629125482-1.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

@NAES1 

I started to watch this last night and had to tune out.

The substory about killing the cattle upset me, and the Paul N's character was so relentlessly mean, I felt depressed!

Love Patricia Neal and thought she was appropriately attractive in this movie....earth Mother type that would be a challenge to Hud.

The book is by Larry McMurtry, one of my favorites, and I may try reading it.

Hope all that watched it enjoyed it!