Honored Contributor

"HOME BEFORE DARK" JEAN SIMMONS EFREM ZIMBALIST JR. THURSDAY 3:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

MV5BNDY2MWRjYWItYWVhYi00YTQ3LTg0OTgtOWQxZDg4ZmVlMDg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk2MzI2Ng@@._V1_.jpg

3:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Home Before Dark"  Jean Simmons, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Dan O'Herlihy, Rhonda Fleming, Mabel Albertson, Steve Dunne, Joan Weldon, Joanna Barnes, Kathryn Card, Marjorie Bennett, Johnstone White, Eleanor Audley

A troubled woman (Jean Simmons) has been away from home for a year, receiving treatment in a psychiatric institution.  When she returns, she is met by her professor- husband (Dan O'Herlihy) who is bafflingly remote, and who is way too emotionally close to her stepsister (Rhonda Fleming), who unfortunately, lives with them....

168RqBMFfAAY1QS3Smn4ovQ4uE9.jpg

Complicating all the psychological and romantic dynamics, is the presence in the house of a boarder, another attractive academic ( Efrem Zimbalist, Jr.),  who seems to have an instinctive understanding of Simmons' vulnerabilities and torment.

22383807447.jpg

Jean Simmons is perfect in this role of a struggling, sympathetic soul, and there's very nice chemistry with adorable Efrem Zimbalist Jr..   The two spark memorably in a quiet scene, lobstering at the seashore, where they share coffee and talk.  Both are outsiders in the stuffy New England town--  she, because she is "different",  and he because of the not-so-covert anti-Semitism at the college that threatens his career....

e924448f5b207e8c9eab0047bdf88751.png

An absorbing film lit by insightful performances.

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOME BEFORE DARK" JEAN SIMMONS EFREM ZIMBALIST JR. THURSDAY 3:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I will DVR this movie as I always loved Jean Simmons.  I may have seen this one but to be sure I will tape it whether I did or not.  We all watch movies over and over!  I enjoyed Jean Simmons in Guys and Dolls , Sparatcus, The Robe to name a few.. A lovley actress who always gave a great performance.

Honored Contributor

Re: "HOME BEFORE DARK" JEAN SIMMONS EFREM ZIMBALIST JR. THURSDAY 3:45 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I don't know why Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. did not have more of a movie career. He certainly had pleasing good looks and charm. 

It seems most of his work was on TV. Will be good to see him in a movie.

Honored Contributor

Also beautiful as a brunette. 

At first, I thought they were different women.

Thanks for the alert.  Enjoy!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Check out the eyebrows!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

Agreed, @spiderw ,  she gives great performances, very well thought out ( I'm thinking of "Angel Face"!), and in this one, she gives a very multi-faceted picture of someone in emotional distress.  Even when things take a somewhat extreme turn, she actively holds your sympathy.  I somehow think she is under-rated.

Oh, so true, @drizzellla ,  Efrem Zimbalist had charm to burn.  Even in a small role like Audrey Hepburn's hubby in "Wait Until Dark".    And in this film, he's irresistable.

Honored Contributor

An artfully-filmed character study worthy of your time.

Honored Contributor

I'd love to see this movie color-ized.

I've always wondered exactly how they color-ize olden movies. 

All of the shading in draping, satin types of fabric seems to be perfect.

Great job regarding other color-ized movies.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

One of my faves since I was a young girl. 

Honored Contributor

I may just have to subscribe to TCM again @Oznell because so many of these interesting films (especially my favorite noirs) are only available to stream on a paid basis, whether they're on Youtube, or Prime, or another option.

There are some random free streaming channels that have classics and noirs but they are hit and miss. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.